Something is killing my striped chickens.

The electronet, if anything like electrified poultry netting will greatly slow losses to ground predators. The 6 AM to 10 AM means culprit is most likely fox or coyote when only feathers are left behind. If it is a hawk, then fencing will make it harder to remove body after kill.

Thank you for your input. I want to get this solved because I want to get more chickens but not if they are going to be slowly picked off...

Try not letting them out until after the 6-10am "prime hunting time" is over. I never let my birds out until 10am. Also, if it were me, I'd add electric wire to the top of the fence AND along the bottom outside perimeter just above ground to keep predators from climbing over or digging under. I use a solar fencer and so I don't have to run electricity to the charger. I agree this does not seem like a hawk, but a possum, skunk, fox or coyote. Eating just the head is more typical of a skunk or possum.

And I love my cuckoo marans. Lovely dark chocloate-colored eggs and nice temperaments too.

I agree about the "prime hunting time" - I've learned a great deal about this. I lost one chicken within the first few months of owning chickens. It happened at 8:20am when the weather started turning colder in the fall. By watching the sky I learned what time of day the hawks hunted here - I had a Goshawk actually sit outside my chicken pen twice! Once at 7:30am and then another time at approximately 4:30am. I also learned when the hawks are around on the hunt - the squirrels & doves disappear, probably hiding!

Have you by chance tried a webcam/security camera hooked up to a computer? I tried this for months with the hawk but the bird was just too smart! Anyway, what I used was a cheap webcam and iSpy (which is an open source security software you can get for free) and it works great to record what was is going on around my coop and I love it! It might offer an answer for you so you can see what is hanging around your yard. To my surprise I had lots of "domestic" cats show up in my footage - they can't get to my chickens because they're inside a pen/run and not strong enough to rip through the wire. I also agree on the 4-legged predator.

I agree about the "prime hunting time" - I've learned a great deal about this. I lost one chicken within the first few months of owning chickens. It happened at 8:20am when the weather started turning colder in the fall. By watching the sky I learned what time of day the hawks hunted here - I had a Goshawk actually sit outside my chicken pen twice! Once at 7:30am and then another time at approximately 4:30am. I also learned when the hawks are around on the hunt - the squirrels & doves disappear, probably hiding!

Have you by chance tried a webcam/security camera hooked up to a computer? I tried this for months with the hawk but the bird was just too smart! Anyway, what I used was a cheap webcam and iSpy (which is an open source security software you can get for free) and it works great to record what was is going on around my coop and I love it! It might offer an answer for you so you can see what is hanging around your yard. To my surprise I had lots of "domestic" cats show up in my footage - they can't get to my chickens because they're inside a pen/run and not strong enough to rip through the wire. I also agree on the 4-legged predator.
No, I haven't tried a webcam... I might have to give it a try though...
Try not letting them out until after the 6-10am "prime hunting time" is over. I never let my birds out until 10am. Also, if it were me, I'd add electric wire to the top of the fence AND along the bottom outside perimeter just above ground to keep predators from climbing over or digging under. I use a solar fencer and so I don't have to run electricity to the charger. I agree this does not seem like a hawk, but a possum, skunk, fox or coyote. Eating just the head is more typical of a skunk or possum.

And I love my cuckoo marans. Lovely dark chocloate-colored eggs and nice temperaments too.
Every since I notice the time that I tended to lose them I asked my husband to stop letting them out in the mornings. Luckily I haven't lost anymore. Hears hoping that I have to fence and gate secured.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom