Something is stalking my Quail

Based on that guide, I would guess possum or fox. Do foxes climb? The poop was on top of the cage.
Yes, foxes climb, they're essentially a dog that can move more like a cat. I hope you are able to figure out who is getting at them and find a way to get rid of them!! Maybe you need some of those lights that look like predator eyes at night? I'm so sad for you that you have lost so many of your quail! Poor Tiger! :-(

Yes, foxes climb, they're essentially a dog that can move more like a cat. I hope you are able to figure out who is getting at them and find a way to get rid of them!! Maybe you need some of those lights that look like predator eyes at night? I'm so sad for you that you have lost so many of your quail! Poor Tiger! :-(
I’m gonna get one of those humane cat/pest traps and see if I catch anything, I’ve seen them at tractor supply for a reasonable price.

I’m gonna get one of those humane cat/pest traps and see if I catch anything, I’ve seen them at tractor supply for a reasonable price.

Foxes are hard to get in a live trap, they are really cautious about going in enclosed spaces. They will tend to stay away from traps with too much human scent on it. When I run my traps I wear latex gloves.

Possums, coons, and foxes love sardines or fish flavored cat food.

Yeah, seems worth the effort to try!! Just make sure the temptation in the trap is smelly and worthwhile (wet cat food is a good smelly option)...a lot of predators are tough to catch if they aren't properly tempted!

Foxes are hard to get in a live trap, they are really cautious about going in enclosed spaces. They will tend to stay away from traps with too much human scent on it. When I run my traps I wear latex gloves.

Possums, coons, and foxes love sardines or fish flavored cat food.
I have a 4 ft fence, is it likely a fox would climb it?

Good luck.

Something else I forgot. If you can make a small cage to put around the food in the trap it increases the chances of catching. I use hardware cloth in my live traps. Make the animal try to work at getting the feed. IMHO the makers of the traps should be doing this already.

A fox can jump 4 feet, it won't even climb that.

Good luck.

Something else I forgot. If you can make a small cage to put around the food in the trap it increases the chances of catching. I use hardware cloth in my live traps. Make the animal try to work at getting the feed. IMHO the makers of the traps should be doing this already.

A fox can jump 4 feet, it won't even climb that.
Ugh, I’ve seen far more foxes than possums or raccoons.

Skunks are actually pretty smart they just have really poor eyesight. It was either following a sound or scent.

That is possum scat. A fox climbs about like a dog will.
Hm, maybe the skunk was after grubs in that part of the yard, it's shady so it stays damp. I've had problems with them digging there in the past.

Back
Top Bottom