Something is wrong with my duckling.

I would definitely check his butt for hard poo ( pasty butt ) clogging his vent
They won’t eat or drink
Can throw up
Lay around looking very weak
I had a lady buy 6 eggs from me and all 6 hatched. On day 3-4 she text upset that one was not growing and was very weak. She thought it was dying and they were heartbroken
I told her to bring it to me and I would do my best to get it back to life.
When I got it it had no energy and looked half dead. I happened to feel something hard when I held it and realized that was hard poo blocking the vent
I used a warm wet cloth and held it there a few mins then put its butt under the tap with warm water running while I rubbed softly till it all came off
Within second the baby has a big poo and started running all over the place like it was never sick
I called her back and said baby is doing great you can come get him
They were so happy he lived
They named him chance and months later she sent me a video all 6 doing great
It’s easy to treat but deadly if not treated
I also picked up 3 ducklings a few months back at one day old and one was slightly off I checked and it also had pasty butt got it fixed and baby was fine
Then this batch I had one with it
The heat and high humidity can cause it
Mine and the ones I bought both babies were last to hatch
Now I check all my ducklings

Good morning. Poor little thing didn't make it. I believe it all started with pasty butt, but then i believe i got water in his little lungs because he started like a popping sound when he'd breathe. I didn't realize how sensitive they were in their month. I was doing such small amounts too. Totally devastating. 😞 Thank you everyone for the help.

Good point. I find putting the dropper next to the bill achieves the same thing. Gets a drop to roll in there. I should have been more explicit. Thank you!
I knowed that you knowed that.. but I always think back to when I first had ducks/ducklings and the things I didn't know. Lol. Someone may misinterpret and think they can just force fluids with a dropper or syringe.

Good morning. Poor little thing didn't make it. I believe it all started with pasty butt, but then i believe i got water in his little lungs because he started like a popping sound when he'd breathe. I didn't realize how sensitive they were in their month. I was doing such small amounts too. Totally devastating. 😞 Thank you everyone for the help.
Oh no. I am sorry to hear that. :hugsshipped ducklings have it kind of rough I think to begin with. You did your best.

Back
Top Bottom