Something isn't right with one of my girls!

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
When I went to check on my girls this morning, I noticed Pia (a one year old EE) was acting odd. She just lays there. I don't think she is egg bound (the little pouch area feels normal and they've all reduced egg laying due to molting anyway). She wants to be outside on the ground. If I put her on a perch, she hops down and lays down again. When I hold her, she tries to go to sleep (she's a cuddly one already too). She walks normal (when she does walk), she will stand for a while just fine, appears to have good balance...she just prefers to squat down and sleep. She does not have any discharge from her beak, nose or eyes and her eyes appear clear and bright. She's just not being her normal spunky, social self...she's being a lethargic, lump on the ground.

All of the girls just started molting this week, except her, so for her to be acting weird while the others are fine (other than molting thing, of course). Her face looks a little pale compared to normal, but so does one of my other hens (who is active and fine), so maybe it is a molting thing? I have heard that some chickens become lethargic when they molt. I am worried about her.

My 3 year old was just as you describe for two weeks before she started to lose feathers, including the yellow poop. She perked up after I hand fed her sunflower hearts..her favourite treat. Now she is almost bald on her neck, but lots of new feathers are coming.
Keep an eye on her and make sure that she is eating. Is she laying?

I am not sure if she is laying or not. They have all dropped down to only a few eggs a week, so I really won't know if she is laying or not until tomorrow (maybe?). She hasn't laid today, but that could just mean she is in between days. I brought her in the house (she is in the big dog crate with the same wood chip bedding we use the coop plus the water, food, etc). I gave her some yogurt, which she usually goes crazy for, but would only eat it if it was on my finger and up to her beak. We just cut the heads of our sunflowers off, so I will give her some deshelled sunflower seeds when I get home. I hope it is a molting thing! I'd hate for her to be sick! The rest of my girls are all fine with their bald spots and all!

Back
Top Bottom