Something killed all 4 of our chickens. :(

Dynahoe Dave

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
They were out all day with us, doing things around the yard. All full grown. Sometime around 7:30, my wife went to check on them. And they were missing. Long story short, I found 2 bodies, one only seemed to be missing some feathers, the other, not much damage I could see. But it's not like I looked reeealy close. The other 2 were just missing entirely. Only some feathers lying on the ground. I had seen a fox a few mornings ago, and was keeping them penned until we could be watching them.

Sounds more like a dog...a fox usually carries one off to eat or bring back to the den. A dog kills one after another and leaves them, like playing with toys. So sorry for your loss.

yes, sounds like a dog. There is a good chance the other 2 are in hiding.
Most dogs ARE playing with toys. They don't even realize that the birds are "food," just funny floppy squeaking toys. When one breaks, they move on to the next

I've never seen a dog in our yard. in the nearly 10 years we lived on site, or the 10 it took to build the house.

I'll let you know what I find in the havahart...

Nothing in the trap.

But I am fairly confident that a red fox got high velocity lead poisoning a few days ago. I've seen a wild turkey in the yard, and a possum. Been a long time since I've seen any of them.

I'll set the trap some more. Have to build a fenced run. Get new chickens.

My fox just took three in one day, so it's not unheard of. And I am 100% sure it was a fox since I saw him. =( However, he just left feathers, no 'parts' that I could find. /sniff..

Back
Top Bottom