something killed my rooster

memeandgrumpy

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
Indianapolis
We lost our rooster last night whatever killed him left mostly his bones and little else. He was in his pen,my husband is convinced it was weasels I am not so sure. We are losing hens one at a time no carcasses and have lost a turkey and 2 khaki Campbells no carcasses. What could be happening we're running out of our flocks.

Instead of guessing on culprit, I suggest tightiening up their night time locations and even sleeping out on porch or tent with a flashlight to hear and see what it going on. You will be able to see how chickens respond, ID predator, and come up with a way to make access to birds more difficult. I would also look into deployment of traps to be kept all the time.

You need to learn your bird's alarm calls. Too many people unfortunately sleep through events that prove very bad for their charges.

sounds like you have multiple predator types,,, something big enough to cart off a turkey,, possibly coyote or bobcat or wild dog,, foxes and coon could easily drag of the chickens and ducks without leaving the carcus,,, the one puzzler is the roo in his pen, which suggests something smaller. unless your pens are not enclosed on top,, then it could very well be an owl,, sorry, as you can see,, without more to go on it is like a crap shoot,, wish i could help more

The rooster was in a covered enclosure next to the chickens yard and coop. Had him getting use to his flock until they got older. Turkey carcass found today in the woods. The rooster has been in his enclosure for 4 weeks nothing came near him. Then bam nothing but bones left. Thought weasels but they don't usually eat a whole rooster( and bo was a very big roo) next thought feral cats they couldn't get in thru the fencing too big to go thru small openings

sounds like you have multiple predator types,,, something big enough to cart off a turkey,, possibly coyote or bobcat or wild dog,, foxes and coon could easily drag of the chickens and ducks without leaving the carcus,,, the one puzzler is the roo in his pen, which suggests something smaller.  unless your pens are not enclosed on top,, then it could very well be an owl,, sorry, as you can see,, without more to go on it is like a crap shoot,, wish i could help more
thank you for offering suggestions

if that is the case in the case of your roo i would guess weasles,, generally they are solitary hunters,, however this time of year it could be a momma teaching her young to hunt and will leave bones and bits of carcass behind
still with the case of your turkey still suggests something larger,, especially if it was a Tom,, i don't think a fox could quite pull it off
and the hens? were they enclosed? weasles generaly eat where they kill leaving something behind while other larger predators drag away the carcass,, which still suggests that you have a multiple predator problem

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom