Something killing our chickens

I sent a sample to the BADDL for a fecal -- they are doing tests for both parasitic and bacterial infections. I am waiting to hear back about the Salmonella, but the report so far finds no parasitic infections and states that they do not see any bacteria they wouldn't expect to find in chickens. So I am still at a loss. I sent the sample out Saturday FedEx and I still waiting for the rest of the report. Now the chicken has watery poop and is not coming when called to eat. I don't expect her to make it much longer. Can anyone give me any additional info as to what I should do?

Is her crop emptying completely overnight?
My husband let the chickens out this morning and he said she was still in the coop after all the other chickens had gone out so he picked her up. He couldn't tell if her crop was empty but he could tell that she has lost weight. I also noticed that her poop was a brighter green than just what it should be with eating grass, which would seem to indicate an infection.

My husband let the chickens out this morning and he said she was still in the coop after all the other chickens had gone out so he picked her up. He couldn't tell if her crop was empty but he could tell that she has lost weight. I also noticed that her poop was a brighter green than just what it should be with eating grass, which would seem to indicate an infection.

Hopefully you will get your test results back soon.

Bright green poop can be a number of things - from not eating to infection. Some diseases like Marek's also have a symptom of green poop.

Since she is losing weight, you may want to see if she will eat a higher protein feed like chick starter or flock raiser. Alternatively egg, meat or tuna would give her a boost.

I'm very sorry that she is still not doing well.

I got the full report back and spoke to the tech in the lab and he said that there were equal numbers of gram- and gram+ bacteria in the feces. So I asked it if could be respiratory since her feces are now a bright green and watery. He said it could be fungal and gave me the name and number of field inspector for our area. I did a search for fungal infections in chickens and one site said to use a copper sulfate / vinegar mixture in their water -- use copper sulfate crystals. Has anyone else read this or know anything about it?

It would really be helpful if they can tell you which fungus they think it is. You may want to have the field inspector contact you so they can advise you on treatment options.

@Eggcessive may have better suggestions, but it's always best to consult your vet.

I do know that some people use Acidified Copper Sulfate to treat Canker (Trichomonosis) which is a protozoan infection (birds would have lesions/canker inside the beak and throat). It might be used for other conditions, but that is the one I'm most familiar seeing it used for. If you do decide that Acidified Copper Sulfate is a treatment you want to use, then I encourage you to purchase the correct product. You can order it online through hatcheries like Murray McMurray and vet supplies like JeffersPet or probably FirstStateVet. The packaging would look similar to those posted below and would specifically be labeled for use as supplemental copper. You will want to follow packaging instructions carefully, over use can be toxic. Also only use in glass or plastic containers, no metal.

The copper sulfate crystals you are looking at - especially if they are found at hardware, home improvement stores are more than likely what is used in pools, as root killer, etc. A slightly different formula which I fear would be hazardous to use.

upload_2018-2-8_15-56-17.png

upload_2018-2-8_15-56-31.png

I bought the ACS from Jeffers on Thursday and they shipped it the same day. I got it on Saturday and started it with all of the chickens. This chicken did not make it though. Thanks for all the help from everyone :)

Thank you; I pray she will be the last. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh... On a positive note, the other RIRs have begun laying again since we've given them the copper sulfate. :)

Back
Top Bottom