something really weird has happened. 2 BLUE eggs from 1 chicken!!!

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
This morning at about 8:30 i went to get eggs. I didnt have any yet so then i went to church. After church i came home and i had 3 eggs in one nesting box ( one was blue )and then my BO was sitting on the nest preparing to lay an egg. I opened the lid 15 minutes later and actually watched her lay the egg. After she hopped down off the box i was expecting to find my normal bo egg that i get everyday. Well i did get an egg from her but also another blue egg! I dont understand how this can happen. I only have one easter egger ( i think ) Is it possible that this one chicken laid 2 eggs in a time span of about an hour or so. I didnt think much of it until i came inside and compared the egg i just got with the blue egg i got this morning. The blue egg i got this morning was really circular and a light blue. The blue egg i got later was much darker in color almost green and was very long. It looks unusual. I just got 3 more hens last week from a friend but none of them lay blue eggs ( i think ).

Here is a list of the breeds i have :
one Buff Orpington hen
one Cornish hen
one polish hen
one cuckoo maran hen
one black australorp pullet ( i was told she was purebred but i have my doubts. ) i dont think she has laid an egg yet although she is about 8 months.
one easter egger hen ( yes i am positive she is an easter egger she lays blue eggs i have seen it )
one mixed breed bantam ( she is mixed with a silkie and something else. )

I recently got 3 new hens last week

one delaware hen ( i know she lays brown eggs )
one ( supposedly welsummer hen ) i dont know what she lays i havent seen it
one rhode island red hen ( lays brown)

I know the typical way to tell that a chicken is an easter egger is to look at the muffs of feathers on their face. I only have one chicken that has that and yes she lays blue eggs.

So here is the question... Is it possible that my one easter egger hen can lay 2 eggs in one day and the 2 eggs look completely different from one another. Is it possible that my black australorp is actually mixed and lays blue eggs. ( she doesnt have muffs of feathers ) Or is possible that the new hen i got is a easter egger. I was told by the person i got it from that it was a welsummer. I will post pics in a minute.

Thank you in advance

68573_easter_egger_hen.jpg

This is the hen that i know lays blue eggs

Since the egg color is different and the shape is different, you should assume that you have more than one easter egger.

Post a picture of two of the birds that you are not sure of.

As far as I know, it's impossible for a hen to lay two separate eggs within an hour of each other. Sometimes they do release two 'eggs' close together, but those are normally what turns into double yokers. And the fact that the two blue-green eggs were so different in color and shape would make it very likely you have an unknown EE.

I do know that it's very possible to have an EE with no muffs - I have one myself. She is a cross between my EE roo and a Black Star hen. Looks a lot like a Black Star (except her color is solid blue) and lays blue-green eggs.

Here's a picture of mine as a youngster (sorry - no current pics...)

73167_p1010118.jpg

so I would say either of your 'unknown' egg layers are probably a product of a cross with an EE.

I bred olive eggers last year. Welsummer/EE cross. They all look like welsummers down to their yellow legs. They lay the expected colored eggs, though. You could have an EE poser in there.

Back
Top Bottom