Something took the mom

McGobs

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
The chickens have been free ranging pretty much uninhibited for 2 years now. All of a sudden, I look outside today and the 4, 3 week old chicks, were huddled up in the corner. No mom in sight. I run outside, and see nothing but a trail of white feathers leading off into the woods. The surrogate mom was one of my white hatchery silkies. So following the trail was pretty easy till eventually there were no more feathers...just nothing. Not sure what kind of animal would take off with a chicken in broad daylight like that. Never happened before. Guess the rest of the girls are gonna be ******...they are getting locked up till I figure out whats out there.

The chickens have been free ranging pretty much uninhibited for 2 years now. All of a sudden, I look outside today and the 4, 3 week old chicks, were huddled up in the corner. No mom in sight. I run outside, and see nothing but a trail of white feathers leading off into the woods. The surrogate mom was one of my white hatchery silkies. So following the trail was pretty easy till eventually there were no more feathers...just nothing. Not sure what kind of animal would take off with a chicken in broad daylight like that. Never happened before. Guess the rest of the girls are gonna be ******...they are getting locked up till I figure out whats out there.
Fox, coyote. Either one will do that, but I would think the coyote wouldn't leave a trail of feathers, being bigger and able to just carry the bird off. Hope you get your critter!

Back
Top Bottom