Something wrong or just weird?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

My 6 coturnix are about 2 weeks old now. I've noticed one, one of the pied rosettas, has a habit of screaming and backing up. He'll race around backwards, stop scream, then back up again. I got a video of the chick doing it on ustream. It otherwise seems fine, eating and drinking, feathers are normal, even had a dust bath today. Any thoughts? I have one thought from my experience with the emu chicks. [​IMG]
    The video can (hopefully) be seen at this url http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17962651

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I loved your video of the quail chicks hopping around! So cute!

I did notice the one that was walking backwards. I have seen my guinea fowl do it at times as adults. They would be running around and then just start running backwards!

There has been cases of mites when they run backwards but if the others are acting fine I wouldn't worry much. Usually it's a way of excitement and running off from predators. Maybe another chick was being territorial or dominant towards it.

3. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Awww that video is so precious! It was totally bizarre seeing the chicks run backwards, though! What the heck!

4. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

moon walk

5. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Looks like he's constipated. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:One of my ringneck pheasants does that, I was told it was normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by