Something Wrong with Duck??

Kingbobkingdom

birds, sky, stars
Premium Feather Member
Aug 12, 2021
Alabama
1-2 hours ago, I was doing homework when I looked out of the window and saw Bomber, my Rouen female in the duck pool. She was acting kinda weird and just staying there and breathing hard. But I was doing homework and thought she would recover, so I would check on her later. An hour or so passed and when I went outside, she was still in the pool and breathing hard while the other ducks were on the other side of the yard. Strange, they usually stay together. There was a egg without a shell and a broken egg without a shell in the pool. I tried to feed her mealworms, but she waddled away from me. The other ducks ran to me, THEY LOOVE MEALWORMS. I have no idea what is wrong with Bomber. Any suggestions???

I do give them oyster shell in their duck food. I dunno why there isn't any shell on these 2 eggs because so far all eggs have been shelled.

I would put the oyster shell in a separate container on the side not in with the feed. It's not recommended to add it to the feed. Also, sometimes it's a problem with calcium absorption. Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption. I also add crushed citracal (a calcium supplement with vitamin d found at the store) to their oyster shell container especiallywhen soft shelled eggs are laid. But, I would get her some calcium gluconate and make sure she gets dosed to help get back on track. You don't want her to continue laying soft shelled eggs.
How long have your ducks been laying? It could just be a blip with a new layer, but if it continues you will want to do more than just oyster shell. Definitely get the oyster shell in a separate container so that they can take what they need.

Okay, I will do that. They have been laying for about about a month, I think. I was pretty surprised because they were not even 6 months yet which would be in late November.

Calcium gluconate (store in fridge after opening) - For a 23% solution: 0.2mL/ 1lb duck. It is the injectable kind at TSC, but instead I just administer it orally. Give it twice a day if egg bound.

Egg bound ducks also have an easier time laying in water. You can soak her in luke warm water next time you see her having an issue. It can help her pass the egg.

Back
Top Bottom