Something wrong with my rooster. Please help!

MaliMom22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Hello all. I have a rooster that's got something going on and I'm not sure what it is. He's a generally friendly all around good guy. He is our preschool rooster...lets kids catch him, eats out of their hand, talks to them, and in generally just an amazing amazing dude but something isn't right. He started slowly loosing feathers about a month ago. I though he was just molting but it looks like life is going on to me. He is still eating drinking but he is spending a lot of time alone and away from the other hens. He isn't calling them over to food any longer either. Usually the kids give all the animals their left over fruit or veggies that our left over from their lunch and he always calls the girls over. Now he doesn't seem so interested in the hens although he will eat the few scraps we throw in. Along with feather loss he has these raw spots on his wings. It started on one side but now he has them on both. He is older....about 7-8 and I do worry it's just old age but I want to make sure we are doing everything possible to keep him around. He's our only rooster we have been able to keep and the kids absolutely adore him. Here's a few pictures of what I'm talking about.
[/IMG]

here he is about 3 weeks ago compared to now. I do notice him scratching a lot, more than any other chicken in the flock and have checked him for lice but haven't found any.

Mites, molt and age making life tough. Up his protein intake a little and treat for external parasites indicated above. I suggest trimming spurs to enable easier walking. Growth of spurs does not naturally accommodate living past four years or so.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking mites as well I've just never personally experienced them before. Is there some sort of powder treatment I can buy to treat? I'm assuming treating the coop is in order along with the other chickens as wel?

I know of the following "natural chicken-keeping" methods:
1) Leg mites: smother them by rubbing oil or petroleum jelly on the legs when they go to roost at night. Some have suggested castor oil treatments - you can search for it here. Also, when they leave the coop in the morning, rub neem oil on the roosts (that gives several hours for the smell to dissipate).

2) Body mites: put wood ash in their dust baths; dust them in wood ash (see https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-horrors-anyone-want-to-follow-their-progress).

Thanks everyone. I was thinking mites as well I've just never personally experienced them before. Is there some sort of powder treatment I can buy to treat? I'm assuming treating the coop is in order along with the other chickens as wel?
Welcome to BYC!

Permethrin dust for him, permethrin spray for the coop.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Birds are starting to molt and often roosters will molt first. Keep up the protein in his food to help him get through it quickly, 18-20% in the ration will help.

Back
Top Bottom