Something wrong with Rhode Island Red's eyes

PalmCityChic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Wood Palace, Palm City
Hello - my little Rhode Island Red's eyes looked odd - not like any others and I never thought much about it, thought maybe she was just different - but I've been away for 4 days and I checked them today and they have really changed for the worse - I'm not sure she can see at all. Does anyone recognize what might be wrong with her? She's about 16 weeks old. She seems normal in every other aspect. Each eye looks very different from the other also. THANKS for any help!!!

what it looks like to me is the chickens got in a fight and she got pecked in the eye i had a rooster that did that all the time from fight.

The areas around the eyes are swollen, and they look infected. It could be from pecking, but also could be a respiratory disease such a coryza. I would watch for additional respiratory symptoms such as nasal secretions, watery eyes and bubbles, rattles or wheezes from the chest or throat, and ruffled feathers on the back of the neck. Those eyes need to be cleaned out with saline and gauze or a clean cloth, and Neosporin or Terramycin ointment applied twice a day. Is there a bad smell from the head?

Back
Top Bottom