Something you wish had been invented in chicken keeping.

Not a snow shovel, but a manure scoop, aluminum, is the way to go (in my opinion). With a bush rake, or a garden rake, it is easy to pull the shavings onto the scoop. Also, WaldoMart has the sturdy stand-up dustpans, which would work for the finishing scooping.

The drawback is the scooper is spendy; about $50. But they are light weight and useful for a ton of other things (like gravel, dirt...) Oh, don’t get the plastic scoops, they are neigh useless.

Me: how about solar powered lights the panels go on roof & the lights can be turned on & off inside the coop? Or a chicken door for free-rangers that become one-way at dusk? A creep-feeder so the geese can’t eat the hens’ high calcium stuff?

Also curious. Considered a full drawer, it opted not to given the large footprint (4x8). I live in a hot and humid place and imagined the wood swelling, getting misaligned, etc. and turning into a smelly mess.

We have a skinny door that hinges open on the front and a large removable panel on the back and a linoleum floor. Easy to push a long broom front to back or a hoe/rake from the back when it's time to change it.
We live in Illinois, hot and humid here as well. Haven’t had any issues with the wood swelling or anything yet. Time will tell. So far we love it!

Well for me it’s already invented I just haven’t got one but a pressure washer for our coops we are going to either have to borrow one from a neighbor or buy one soon because our coops are getting messy 🙃 is there something like craigslist you can search, sometimes they’re giving away free stuff maybe you can find a rake there
Is your coop wood? When we put our coop together, I knew I didn't want to deep clean by hand. So I painted inside with 2 really good coats of Minwax hellsman polyurethane. This helps with ticks n mites too. I only pressure wash on sunny warm days so coop gets dry before putting new shavings down. It's been a yr+ and I've pressure washed it 4-5 times starting in spring thru early fall. I do have 3 removable perches that get a lot of wear n tear. They will need a light sanding and a couple new coats of urethane before winter. The rest of the interior looks great! It was so worth the time it took to apply the urethane. Our coop is mobile and we r in Fl. So during the summer we keep it in the shade. I do move it into full sun to pressure wash and dry it. I used a solid stain to do the trim on the run n coop. Used exterior semi gloss for exterior walls. The solid stain has not held up as well and has wear areas. Check garage sales for pressure washer. Also late fall into winter better prices on the pressure washer.

Back
Top Bottom