Sometimes my chickens are so dumb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Aug 6, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, sometimes my chickens are fairly intelligent.
    They almost figured out the dog ball you roll around and get treats out of (I have sunflower seed in there) and they KNOW there are goodies in there. I sure wished it was clear and then I think they would have it figured out already.

But...on the other hand...I rinsed their feeder out this morning and the water hadnt drained when I fed them, so I put their food in a turned up watermelon rind. Well...they keep lookin in the feeder, lookin in the back of the bin where the feed gets poured...lookin all over...now they SAW me pour their food, the dummies! And I HAVE done that before, so its not a NEW phenomena mom has pulled on them. Crazy birds! They are really so funny. I imagine they will figure it out before too long, but them lookin at that feeder and acting so puzzled has me rollin on the floor.

Jill

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sometimes you really do have to wonder...but it's just like us...you change things around, or do something different and we get all discombobulated.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens really don't like change of any kind. It seems funny sometimes how they struggle to adapt to any kind of changes. Things like a new waterer can make them wonder what the heck is going on.[​IMG]

bigzio

4. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    I cleaned my coop awhile back and used wood shavings instead of my normal straw, on the way out the pen door, I accidently spilled a bunch of shavings in the gate door way.

Come evening, I checked on them to make sure they were all in the pen and coop to find that they were all sitting outside the gate (it was open) and no one would pass over that "new stuff" on the ground.

I had to catch my roo and put him over the threshold before the others would slowly follow!!!

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    The first time mine ventured around to the other side of the house, it took them forever to cross over the sidewalk going from the back door to the carport. You'd have thought it was one of those hanging bridges the way they had to get up nerve to run/flap over it! [​IMG] Crazy things! It's only 2 ft wide! Not exactly the grand canyon!

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    JUST LOVE THESE CHICKEN STORIES! [​IMG]

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Ok, now I understand why I am so addicted to chickens, we are just so much alike....[​IMG]

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I mentioned the other day of how my chickens were upset about their light...
    Today I worked on the coop to get rid of anything they could hurt themselves on.
    They keep damaging their beaks on something.
    Anyway, I put molding around their windows today, on the inside, and now their all sitting away from the window and not next to their regualr roost buddy. Usually the doms are together and the aussies together.
    Tonight its Australorpe, Dominique, Australorpe, Dominique, All hell has broken loose in there, crazyness [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hmm, I think i'll cpopy this to my thread later haha.

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ah yes, the change in the coop! Actually when I put this big bright blue dog ball in the pen, they took it pretty well.

They eyeballed it, standing stock still for about 3 minutes, then went about their business. BUT, Fussy actually had her TAIL in the air. I think that meant she was alert to the intruder, but was gonna ignore it until it made a move, then she would KILL it. [​IMG]

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

I need to try that and see what they do.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hey, when are you getting your new chicks, you still waiting for me to integrate mine first to see how that goes?

I think there are a few people watching my thread waiting to see carnage. :thun

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by