1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sometimes Science goes too far

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fowl_Odor002, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    So... in our neverending persuit of more profit
    Chickens will now have their frontal lobe removed so that they can be grown/raised like vegetables.

I can see it now... the future of "chicken farming"
    Giant stacks of chickens being fed thru tubes until they are ready to be harvested.
    The scene will be similar to that of Neo being seperated from the matrix.

http://gizmodo.com/5888853/the-future-of-farming-is-brain+dead-chickens/gallery/1

This is wrong in so many levels

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sounds like it is an art project. Ie. Probably meant to be satirical and to get people to think about the current industry. Seems like the equipment would be too expensive to have the industry ever leap at it, so I wouldn't expect them on one's plate anytime soon. :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't see this passing livestock regulations

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

That just sounds inhumane! How could something like that ever be allowed? I really hope this is a joke and not a serious article.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Only a chicken brained human can come up with chicken brain surgery. THe cost of the meat would be too high ,while the quality would suffer. wouldnt all meat be white then since no muscles are being used? and the chest , wouldnt it waste away?

6. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aside from the "weirdness" of this, I question whether this would actually work and be productive. First, would muscle development continue at current rates in an immobilized chicken? Humans who are paralyzed will show muscle atrophy over time. Secondly, immobilized animals (including humans) become susceptible to respiratory infections and pneumonia. Would this become a concern that would affect productivity? Third, would the cost of such a productive system ever translate to more profits? I'm thinking that more intensive input would increase production costs, and if coupled with potentially decreased muscle growth and increased mortality, this system wouldn't be cost-effective.

JMO.

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Poultry are exempt from most federal livestock regulations with regards to husbandry, and the state regulations vary, so it is conceivable that SOMEWHERE in the US (and probably in many areas) this would be legal.

8. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Sadly it actually exists. Very rare, but it probably is happening somewhere in hell.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Just the thought of this is creepy IMO.

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote: Sadly probably not, considering how industry chickens are kept. XP

This is interesting:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Quote: Not that I want them to try to eradicate it using industry methods...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by