Soon to be Chicken owner!

Welcome! Just wondering how big this coop is. You can't have three chickens, they are flock birds. Does your seller have bantams - you could keep more in a smaller space, silkie bantams are great. Remember the LIMIT of space for one bird is one meter squared. Hope this helps
Sorry just got through reading the comments and wanted to answer.

I got 3 chickens as that was the smallest recommended size flock that I have seen, and with this being my first flock I was nervous to have more then I could handle. (After my research I saw that there is a possibility of adding another chicken later but much harder to do so). I got an Easter Egger, a Barred Rock, and a Sapphire Gem.

As for the space, my coop is 18 sq ft, and the run is 80 sq. Ft. I am a little concerned about the coop being to big for the chickens to generate heat in the winter, because even though I'm in FL, we can have chilly winters (or maybe just chilly to this native Floridian?) But around 30 degrees at the coldest. Since they won't be going in until mid to late April, I won't have to start thinking of winterizing the coop until...well November when we get 2 hours of "cold" and then back to the 80's/90's lol.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if there's anything else I should be looking out for/ be made aware of. I really appreciate it!

I got 3 chickens as that was the smallest recommended size flock that I have seen, and with this being my first flock I was nervous to have more then I could handle. (After my research I saw that there is a possibility of adding another chicken later but much harder to do so). I got an Easter Egger, a Barred Rock, and a Sapphire Gem.

As for the space, my coop is 18 sq ft, and the run is 80 sq. Ft. I am a little concerned about the coop being to big for the chickens to generate heat in the winter, because even though I'm in FL, we can have chilly winters (or maybe just chilly to this native Floridian?) But around 30 degrees at the coldest. Since they won't be going in until mid to late April, I won't have to start thinking of winterizing the coop until...well November when we get 2 hours of "cold" and then back to the 80's/90's lol.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if there's anything else I should be looking out for/ be made aware of. I really appreciate it!
So glad you got your babies! I have an EE and a SG! They are the best! You can add more chickens later on, it is just harder. If you do decide to get more, I recommend getting 2 more so that they can stick together and already have a buddy. It really depends on their personality as well. Best of luck!

My chickens have a nice warm little coop and still often prefer to roost in the (predator-secure) run instead. I think they like the taller perch? But even in 20 degree weather they are out there sometimes. 🤷‍♀️ I wouldn't worry toooo much about Florida winter. Florida "dumping buckets of sideways rain," yes. Flooding and wet bedding in the coop are no good. Dry cold usually isn't a big issue for chickens, at least not if you're talking the 30s.

Pictures? Sorry if I was a bit rude with the past comment

Pictures? Sorry if I was a bit rude with the past comment
Oh no you weren't, just wanted to make sure I had the accurate information out there. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier!

These are not the greatest pics as I tarped it and never took a pic with it off. The nesting boxes are in there now as storage until I can figure out the best place for them permanently.

And the second picture is the run, very obviously not finished (or even finished painted!)

Attachments

• 20210308_085533.jpg
    20210308_085533.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210228_184403.jpg
    20210228_184403.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 2
My chickens have a nice warm little coop and still often prefer to roost in the (predator-secure) run instead. I think they like the taller perch? But even in 20 degree weather they are out there sometimes. 🤷‍♀️ I wouldn't worry toooo much about Florida winter. Florida "dumping buckets of sideways rain," yes. Flooding and wet bedding in the coop are no good. Dry cold usually isn't a big issue for chickens, at least not if you're talking the 30s.

I figured thr chickens would be way less wimpy when I am but ill tell my husband that of it dips down that far we will have to invest in either a heater or they come inside lol

30s isn't cold!
I think your chickens are likely roosting in the "run" part of your coop because their enclosed part is too small.

Oh no you weren't, just wanted to make sure I had the accurate information out there. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier!

These are not the greatest pics as I tarped it and never took a pic with it off. The nesting boxes are in there now as storage until I can figure out the best place for them permanently.

And the second picture is the run, very obviously not finished (or even finished painted!)
I meant of the birds. Easy mistake

Its lovely coop

Back
Top Bottom