Soon to be Homesteader - Chickens are in my future

Welcome. Actually lots of us from Chicago suburbs. Congrats! I wish I could make the move to a homestead. Chickens are great but will require a bit of research to do it right. I am having some trouble integrating new chickens with the somewhat aggressive Gold Comets I've had. Live and learn. Lots of helpful people here so dont be afraid to ask questions.

The homesteading thing just kind of developed when my other half inherited a very tiny amount of money. Enough for land and in our thoughts best use of money. It was never in either of our perceived futures before this. I'm actually an inner city kid so who knew. No water, sewer, electric...just rock, dirt & air.
We're excited. How crazy is that?! :celebrate:wee

Lived in Chicago the first 20+ years of my life. Brookfield zoo also has chickens, goats, ducks, etc. in a Children's petting zoo format. I don't know if Lincoln Park zoo is still free admission but Brookfield Zoo costs a pretty penny if you aren't a member/ family member, plus parking fee, etc. etc. It is bigger and has more things to see. Better food,snack offerings.Also some free parking areas - my brother knows which is which, I don't!

BTW moved out of Chicago to find a well (with very rusty water), a septic tank(what???) gravel road, and house only half finished when we had to move in to basement (with 11 dogs) because Chicago house sold to the first looker. Who knew?

BTW I was breeding and showing dogs hence the need to move out of the city.
Plus Chicago neighbors wanted us out not "their kind,"(religion) etc. Never looked back. Living here over 50 years- much better neighbors. l

Last edited:
Lived in Chicago the first 20+ years of my life. Brookfield zoo also has chickens, goats, ducks, etc. in a Children's petting zoo format. I don't know if Lincoln Park zoo is still free admission but Brookfield Zoo costs a pretty penny if you aren't a member/ family member, plus parking fee, etc. etc. It is bigger and has more things to see. Better food,snack offerings.Also some free parking areas - my brother knows which is which, I don't!

BTW moved out of Chicago to find a well (with very rusty water), a septic tank(what???) gravel road, and house only half finished when we had to move in to basement (with 11 dogs) because Chicago house sold to the first looker. Who knew?

BTW I was breeding and showing dogs hence the need to move out of the city.
Plus Chicago neighbors wanted us out not "their kind,"(religion) etc. Never looked back. Living here over 50 years- much better neighbors. l

I'm familiar with Brookfield Zoo. It is a great zoo, but I've always preferred Lincoln Park. Yes, it is still free. Lincoln Park has improved many areas and is still my favorite. I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid and with my son when he was younger.

Plus is that you at least have a house, even if only half built. We only have clay, rock & air. It's pretty, secluded, and not too far from a few towns so hopefully it wont be too much of a culture shock for us. Plus side is we like being left alone.

What kind of dogs do you breed? Neighbors are always interesting, never know what you're going to get. At least you have good ones now.

Attachments

• 2020-06-26_1327.png
    2020-06-26_1327.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom