Soon to be Lonely

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by difigliap6, Jul 24, 2014.

1. difigliap6

difigliap6 Hatching

May 27, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi all! A newbie here. I need some advice. We have 3 pullets - 11 weeks old. 1 Rhode Island Red, I Buff Orpington, one unknown since it was a school project chick( was totally black as a chick). Anyway my Buff and the Black have started what sounds a lot like crowning. My dilemma is we have to find homes for the roos which will leave my RIR lonely and squawking. We want to get 2 more chicks but from what I've read and been told, they shouldn't be put together yet. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Maybe I'm being way to sentimental but I as well as my daughter have grown very fond of all of them and hate to even let the roos go.

2. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    I'd introduce them as chicks!Of course threw a pen or fencing for about a month or 2 weeks.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Chicks are fairly easy to integrate. It does go easier to let them get to know each other through a partition for a day or so. But immature chickens integrate well even without the introduction. Its when they near maturity around 16 weeks that they really start to get cranky about newcomers. So you have a couple more weeks to do and easy integration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: