Soon to-be-new chicken mamma

Cydster63

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
Hi,
I am expecting my newest family members in early May! I am getting four Isa Browns and I am a little nervous to say the least!! I know I will have lots of questions and will be referring back to the wonderful articles that are posted here.
I am in Northeast Washington and I am really concerned about the predators that we have here. My biggest concerns are whether my coop will keep my babies safe. I am a first-time chicken momma and looking forward to meeting and chatting with everyone!

Welcome. The first 8-10 weeks they will be in a brooder with temperature control. I suggest flat panel radiant heat. This way they can go to the heat and go away from it if hot. My first flock, I put the brooder at our cabin, on the other side of our 6-acre property. But I was there checking on them 10 times a day so it was not convenient. My second flock, they are in my spare room. in both cases, predators were/are not an issue. Start planning for your coop and as many will agree, stay away from the pre-manufactured coops. Try to either build your own or convert a shed. You need a place that they can be if needed when they are awake - none of the pre-manufactured coops will suffice. Also, you need space to make sure there isn't pecking on the roost at night, and you need good ventilation. As far as predator proofing, your coop and run need to be hardware cloth (the coop any space walls beneath it with an apron and the run, the walls with an apron) with a 2-foot hardware cloth apron. An apron is when you extend the hardware cloth to the ground and out 2-feet to prevent predators from digging. 1/2 inch hardwire will suffice. When you improve ventilation in your coop - not at the roosting level, you will need to hardware cloth these holes also

Last edited:
Hi,
I am expecting my newest family members in early May! I am getting four Isa Browns and I am a little nervous to say the least!! I know I will have lots of questions and will be referring back to the wonderful articles that are posted here.
I am in Northeast Washington and I am really concerned about the predators that we have here. My biggest concerns are whether my coop will keep my babies safe. I am a first-time chicken momma and looking forward to meeting and chatting with everyone!
Welcome! I love reading comments and questions, If you need assistance just ask everyone has been very kind and friendly 🐣🐓🐤

Welcome. The first 8-10 weeks they will be in a brooder with temperature control. I suggest flat panel radiant heat. This way they can go to the heat and go away from it if hot. My first flock, I put the brooder at our cabin, on the other side of our 6-acre property. But I was there checking on them 10 times a day so it was not convenient. My second flock, they are in my spare room. in both cases, predators were/are not an issue. Start planning for your coop and as many will agree, stay away from the pre-manufactured coops. Try to either build your own or convert a shed. You need a place that they can be if needed when they are awake - none of the pre-manufactured coops will suffice. Also, you need space to make sure there isn't pecking on the roost at night, and you need good ventilation. As far as predator proofing, your coop and run need to be hardware cloth (the coop any space walls beneath it with an apron and the run, the walls with an apron) with a 2-foot hardware cloth apron. An apron is when you extend the hardware cloth to the ground and out 2-feet to prevent predators from digging. 1/2 inch hardwire will suffice. When you improve ventilation in your coop - not at the roosting level, you will need to hardware cloth these holes also
Random- but i love the chicken in your profile:) is it a speckled sussex? If so i have a 3 week old speckled sussex rn and i love hwr pattern:)

Random- but i love the chicken in your profile:) is it a speckled sussex? If so i have a 3 week old speckled sussex rn and i love hwr pattern:)
She is my favorite hen. She is kind, considerate and very playful. She is also a dedicated forager. You have to watch out for SS's...because they are so kind, they get bullied and left out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom