Sores on neck head and face?? Anyone know what this is?

I'm no expert, but I had something very similar looking. It seemed like, upon closer examination, that most sore spots were actually feather follicles or just pores, that seemed to be infected.

An old timer told me to try penicillin, as it is a form of staph, not like the staph we hear about killing folks, but rather a skin staph that sometimes affects dogs & our outdoor birds. It is contagious though so you will want to wear some latex gloves. Penicillin can be administered by injection or orally, but when mixed into drinking water it's hard to determine if they get the correct dose, plus it tastes nasty so they'll avoid drinking it. I managed to find amoxicillin pills online.

Anyway, I actually cleaned each sore spot well with peroxide & could squeeze out some puss & mushy feather follicle, like some were ingrown feathers. I followed up with Vetericyn. Then I gave the bird amoxicillin pills daily, followed by live mealworms, so it wouldn't be difficult repeating it the next day, if the memory was associated with a treat...I figured it'll either help or not, but it wasn't going to hurt trying. I did this for 14 days, and indeed, the sores healed & no more new sores showed up! Also, most importantly, I totally cleaned out the birds areas, especially bedding. I swept out & discarded all wood chips, disinfected the area with a sprayer & basically bleach water, let totally dry, sunshine & fresh air is great, use a fan, then with a different spray bottle I sprayed a mix of Betadine & water & let that dry. Bleach will kill germs and bacteria, but Betadine will kill any viruses...at least that what I was shooting for. Once all dry, I mixed up some tea tree, citronella & Lavender & sprayed that, then added new wood chips & lightly sprayed them. I also add chopped garlic & Braggs ACV, 1 teaspoon each per gallon of drinking water & still do that. Sometimes I will add oregano. Haven't had any issues since...no more staph, no more sores, no more mites or lice either.

Oh yeah, she's probably grumpy because she is very uncomfortable...her mood will improve once these sore are gone. The hard part with such a large bird, will be getting her to sit still while you tend to her. I tended to a friend's turkey, just had to pretty much bear hug him & have his kicking feet facing outward, away from me. 😆 I still got bruised. My sweetheart asked me what the heck happened to my legs as they were all bruised up. I told him it was the result of a turkey lap dance. 😂

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I had something very similar looking. It seemed like, upon closer examination, that most sore spots were actually feather follicles or just pores, that seemed to be infected.

An old timer told me to try penicillin, as it is a form of staph, not like the staph we hear about killing folks, but rather a skin staph that sometimes affects dogs & our outdoor birds. It is contagious though so you will want to wear some latex gloves. Penicillin can be administered by injection or orally, but when mixed into drinking water it's hard to determine if they get the correct dose, plus it tastes nasty so they'll avoid drinking it. I managed to find amoxicillin pills online.

Anyway, I actually cleaned each sore spot well with peroxide & could squeeze out some puss & mushy feather follicle, like some were ingrown feathers. I followed up with Vetericyn. Then I gave the bird amoxicillin pills daily, followed by live mealworms, so it wouldn't be difficult repeating it the next day, if the memory was associated with a treat...I figured it'll either help or not, but it wasn't going to hurt trying. I did this for 14 days, and indeed, the sores healed & no more new sores showed up! Also, most importantly, I totally cleaned out the birds areas, especially bedding. I swept out & discarded all wood chips, disinfected the area with a sprayer & basically bleach water, let totally dry, sunshine & fresh air is great, use a fan, then with a different spray bottle I sprayed a mix of Betadine & water & let that dry. Bleach will kill germs and bacteria, but Betadine will kill any viruses...at least that what I was shooting for. Once all dry, I mixed up some tea tree, citronella & Lavender & sprayed that, then added new wood chips & lightly sprayed them. I also add chopped garlic & Braggs ACV, 1 teaspoon each per gallon of drinking water & still do that. Sometimes I will add oregano. Haven't had any issues since...no more staph, no more sores, no more mites or lice either.

Oh yeah, she's probably grumpy because she is very uncomfortable...her mood will improve once these sore are gone. The hard part with such a large bird, will be getting her to sit still while you tend to her. I tended to a friend's turkey, just had to pretty much bear hug him & have his kicking feet facing outward, away from me. 😆 I still got bruised. My sweetheart asked me what the heck happened to my legs as they were all bruised up. I told him it was the result of a turkey lap dance. 😂

Good luck to you!
Thank you so much! I will definitely try the amoxicillin. Do you happen to know of somewhere to buy it online? I really appreciate you sharing your experience and that does sound like something that could be happening because all the other birds have no obvious symptoms of anything

Good luck to you!
Ya know the more I think about it I bet you’re right. Her feathers are coming back in now that she’s been treated for her little mite issue 🤔🤔

I found the amoxicillin online and just ordered it. Thanks again!

Also, hilarious about the Turkey lap dance 😆😆 I love it

Good luck to you!
Hey Liz!! I just wanted to come back and thank you so so much for your advice!! You were right! She is doing so much better, her bumps are gone and she’s got almost all of her feathers back in. I really appreciate you!

Back
Top Bottom