Sorry complain, but....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StarLover21, Jan 27, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm not sure if I just have a messy hedgehog or...?
    He's a really sweet guy. But his cage is a PAIN to clean. Every night he poops all over his wheel, runs in it, and then it dries to a plaster. I have to take apart the cage to get the wheel out, and then take apart the wheel, which is also a pain. Then I have to scrub it for about twenty minuites.
    Also, my original plan was to just pick up the poop in his cage every day. But he runs in that too, and it dries onto the fleece liners. And it SMELLS! I've tried littertraining and he just won't. So every day I have to take out the fleece liner and shake it out, and I have to change/wash it completely every half week. He also poops right under his waterbottle, and when he drinks it drips onto it and swells up really big. [​IMG]. And then, of course, I have to give him a footbath every day. So overall it's about 30 minuites to clean his cage EVERY DAY! Is this normal?

Here's the wheel I have: http://www.transoniq.com/ . I hate it.
    I hope to get this wheel: http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/the-carolina-storm-wheel.html, which has great reviews, seems easy to clean, and tilts so that his his poop rolls off onto the litter pan under it.

Any suggestions? Sorry to complain...I love the little guy, of course. Here's a picture of him. Oh, and we got rid of the aspen, as I said, and have fleece now.

[​IMG]

2. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    I don't have any suggestions for you, or know what is normal or not... but I just wanted to say that he is such a little cutie!!!!

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    That is cute! Don't have a clue about hedgehogs!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    feather finder has a hedge hog maybe PM her and she can give you some advice. All the best and it is sure a cutie.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No. I don't mean to sound mean but you're going at this the wrong way [​IMG]

First, get him a corner litter pan - typically made for ferrets. You can get them at petco, etc. Then get dust free NON-CLUMPING cat litter. Fill er' up and watch the magic. Clean it daily at least, and put any missed poos into the pan. He might "dust bathe" in it when you first put it in.

I'd also suggest moving over to a modified bin, like this one at walmart. However those I bought at walmart were only $20. To cut the holes for the water bottle, heat the plastic with a hair dryer and then cut with a knife, carefully.

6. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Well- it's not actually cat litter we're using. It's those non clumping pellets the size of beads that are for small pets. So I think we have the right litter. I may be wrong. I'll also look into the bin.

Oh, and, we got the wheel! Well, it's being shipped. Yay! So I feel much better about this. Don't worry, little guy makes up for the mess so much, but I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yeah, I'd get cat litter. I never had a bit of luck with that stuff if it's the same kind I got at petco.

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    try taking poops and even wet bedding and put it in the litter pan. so they can associate the odor with the location. this helped with litter training one of my rabbits.

9. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, that's what we've been trying. I think we might buy a bigger litter pan today- he can hardly fit in his other one now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by