Sorry For the Stupid Question- Getting Hens Into The Coup At Night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hudson, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hudson

Hudson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I have 12 chicks in my brooder and am a couple of weeks away from putting them into their new coop. I plan on putting the chickens into the coop at night since I live in a heavily wooded area. The question I have is what is the easiest way to get them in at night. It is a walk in 8'x8' coop with a 14'x20' run. I might be overthinking this thing but some nights it will be my wifes task since I occasionally have to work evenings. I have a chicken door and ramp into the run. Any info would be much appreciated.

Jon
    Woodstock,GA

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I don't know if it works with chicks but I brought two young chickens home from the rescue and put them in the goat pen - I wondered how I was going to get them in the coop too, but come sundown they both calmly walked into the coop. I wondered how they knew it was for them?

3. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Leave them in the coop for a week or so before you let them out into the run.
    They will know that this is their home, and they will usually go in at dusk themselves.

4. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    For the first few nights you may need to "usher" them in the coop, or put them in and then they'll learn to go in.
    P.S: There's no such thing as a stupid question here!
    [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Carolina Chicken Man. When you first move them to the coop lock them in for a week or so. Don't even allow access to the run. They'll figure out that the coop is home and where they should roost at night.

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    yes they sure learn fast
    they are smarter then we think .. they always find the feed.
    and water. no directions needed there
    when we stop learning
    we stop growing.nothing is stupid..
    my hens stayed out in the rain in the run for
    almost 4 days untill they decided to get
    in doors to dry out.and every evening they march
    right as tho some one blew a whistle
    LOL..

7. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

We did learn the hard way that chickens are pretty smart. For the first week or so we would run around and try to usher in the girls and it was a funny sight let me tell y'all. But then one night we decided to see what happens if we let them be, and low and behold...they, just as dusk was laying down, simply walked themselves in. No more worries. If you let them be in the coop for a few days or so, and get them to understand this is your home, they will return at dusk to their safe home.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by