Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I have a broody hen...

Acsmith8213

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
I have a hen that's been broody for a couple of weeks now and we have to take make her get up and go eat and drink (we're not watching her all day though). This is my first time with chickens so I'm honestly not sure what to do. There's so many ideas and opinions on-line that it's very confusing for me. I don't want her to just sit there until she passes. We do not have a rooster so none of her eggs will hatch. Please help!

If you don’t have a rooster ergo no fertilized eggs and you don’t wish to buy any and let her hatch them, then I’d attempt to break her broodiness.
Ok. I don't know where to purchase fertilized eggs. Do you think getting a chick or two would work?

I had a silkie mix hen staying broody for two months! Then her health went down hill, even I took her out to eat and drink several times a day. I find the best way to break a broody is to put her in a dog cage with NO bedding in it. I don't do wire bottom, since it hurts her feet. I just put the cage either on grass or on ground in their run, depends on weather. She usually quits in 3~4 days.

Yes we tried this once with our Buff Orpington as long as they aren't more then 3 days old when you slip the chicks under her or else she might reject and kill the chicks.

I had a silkie mix hen staying broody for two months! Then her health went down hill, even I took her out to eat and drink several times a day. I find the best way to break a broody is to put her in a dog cage with NO bedding in it. I don't do wire bottom, since it hurts her feet. I just put the cage either on grass or on ground in their run, depends on weather. She usually quits in 3~4 days.
Thank you. We do have a Newfoundland size crate in our shed so I'll set that up when I get home on the grass.

Back
Top Bottom