Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I have a broody hen...

I just had hens from last summer, and this spring two hens got broody. Fortunately only one is serious, the other can be easily attracted by food (she will immediately come out for seeing what to eat :lau)

The serious one really wants to hatch and can stay inside for the entire day, on the eggs from her sisters. I tried blocking her out of the coop and at the end, she chose to sit on a specific spot, imaging she is hatching some invisible eggs.

So finally we got 10 fertilized eggs for her. She also takes full responsibility of them.

I just had hens from last summer, and this spring two hens got broody. Fortunately only one is serious, the other can be easily attracted by food (she will immediately come out for seeing what to eat :lau)

The serious one really wants to hatch and can stay inside for the entire day, on the eggs from her sisters. I tried blocking her out of the coop and at the end, she chose to sit on a specific spot, imaging she is hatching some invisible eggs.

So finally we got 10 fertilized eggs for her. She also takes full responsibility of them.
LOL!! Food motivated animals are so much easier!! :D I've tried to get her to come out for mealworms, clover, frozen fruit, etc. Nothing. She's as stubborn as I am! :lol:

I'm afraid the other 4 hens will kill any chicks I put in there as well. I'm glad your girl got some babies to take care of!

I have a hen that's been broody for a couple of weeks now and we have to take make her get up and go eat and drink (we're not watching her all day though). This is my first time with chickens so I'm honestly not sure what to do. There's so many ideas and opinions on-line that it's very confusing for me. I don't want her to just sit there until she passes. We do not have a rooster so none of her eggs will hatch. Please help!
My Buff O is the queen of broodyness. Puffy , demented, stubborn. we call her crazy Buffy. ..I just stick her in a crate in the ac on a tile floor for a few days. If it doesn't take I just try it again. She will starve herself and sit on straw even without eggs for weeks otherwise in a hot coop. ( FL) Sometimes I'll dunk her up to her belly in water first to cool her down. She can get super skinny if I don't take action.

Ok. I don't know where to purchase fertilized eggs. Do you think getting a chick or two would work?
Thank you. We do have a Newfoundland size crate in our shed so I'll set that up when I get home on the grass.
Depending on how long she’s been broody she may accept day old chicks. It all depends on the hen.

Breaking a broody was a hit or miss with my chickens. Either just shooing em away would work and other times I just had to let them hatch some since nothing would break them.

Depending on how long she’s been broody she may accept day old chicks. It all depends on the hen.

Breaking a broody was a hit or miss with my chickens. Either just shooing em away would work and other times I just had to let them hatch some since nothing would break them.
This hen is as stubborn as I am but hopefully I can break her. Our second coop hasn't arrived yet so don't want more just yet. LOL! :lau:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom