Sorry this is a really dumb question....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ericasl, May 11, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    When chickens loose feathers how long does it take for them to grow back?? I got some hens months ago that had been with a roo so they were missing fethers. They still have not grown feathers back. Is there anything I can do to help them out?? Something I can feed them maybe or do they have to molt to grow them all back?? I have checked for bugs, and I use de in there nest boxes??

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    If the hen's feathers are worn off due to the roo overbreeding her, the hen will have a bald spot on her back. I've heard that if you put a piece of duct tape on her back it will protect until the feathers come back in.

3. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Feathers are made of protein and they need extra protein in their diets when growing feathers back. It could take 1 month to 5 months to grow back. Having a good diet for the chicken is important and will speed up the feather growth.

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Thank you I have no roo so the feather should be growing back. The person I saved these girls from was only feeding them corn and they have been bebecked, so they have had alot no going there way, I feed them 20% laying crumbles, they also get boss and I have been giving them some rooster booster vitamins. Anything else to help the out would be good.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Add the protein to the diet and use the duct tape. Then take pics. I wanna see the duct-taped chickens!

6. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feathers will grow back in molting season.

Wild birds (geese and ducks) molt in late summer so that they have fresh new feathers to fly south. Canada geese cannot fly in late June or early July due to the loss of the flight feathers. I found that chickens stop laying eggs and molt in the fall (sept through November). Feathers that are missing will grow back then, feathers that are broken should be pulled out to make them grow back. The molt really stops when winter hits hard.

Keep this in mind for butchering birds (especially ducks). Keeping them through the fall makes for messy butchering with half grown feathers. There's a magical time when they are ready to butcher, too late and they could be in a molt.

All birds moult sometime after the breeding season.

I read somewhere that birds can be forced to molt by withholding food and water for two days. I haven't tried it.

If you have a roo that is hard on the hens there is little you can do other than separating the roo from the hens for most of the year.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Dont forget to use pink duct tape , i love my pink duct tape ( or duck tape as my kids would say)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by