Sort of New - Been lurking for about a year!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by californiagirl, Mar 20, 2012.

1. californiagirl

californiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We got 8 chicks in March 2011 - one for each of us plus an extra in case one didn't make it. We almost lost one, but I nursed Esther back to health. She got stepped on by the other chicks and looks like the Hunchback Hen now - one shoulder is higher than the other and she kind of lurches around. She's super friendly, so even though she wasn't laying we kept her as a pet. Now we're glad we did because she started laying this Spring!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

W have the original 8, which are all laying, and six new peeps. Hoping to get two more when Americanas are in stock.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Hens: 2 Black Stars (Susie & Olive), 3 Red Stars (Super Star, Amelia, & Celeste), 3 Partridge Rocks (Esther, Tater Tot, and Fawn) Chicks: 1 Speckled Sussex of undetermined sex (Sundae) Pullets: 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte (Petra), 1 Ancona (Ellie), 1 Road Island Red (Tweety), 1 Buff Orpington (Molly), 1 Golden Comet (Praline)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

In Feb. 2011 we moved out of a trailer park and into a house with a huge fenced yard. Yucaipa was originally a chicken town, there are still several egg ranches, so we were excited about getting some chickens of our own. Several of my friends who already had chickens recommended this site. It has been a wealth of information! I am a "search" fiend, and love to find answers in the old threads.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to run and have done two half marathons and several 5K's since I started running at age 37. I recently started a scrapbook of my races and discovered that I love scrapbooking too. Thinking a chicken scrapbook may be my next project. I also read a lot and have been known to stay up all night with a good book. I like to spend time in nature - trees and mountains are my favorite - but I love all the different areas of California. It's so beautiful.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have six children, 4 boys and 2 girls. My oldest daughter passed away in 2002 due to neuroblastoma, a type of childhood cancer. We had moved from Maui, Hawaii where I was born and raised, to Southern California for her treatment and to be near family. I really feel at home here and love my community. My husband, David, is the custodian for our church and we live next door so he can be on call. It's a great job and we feel blessed to have it. I used to be a supervisor at Starbucks, but now I stay home and home school our four youngest kids (and love it!). My oldest son is now in college but lives at home. We have a Pug-mix named Shadow, and two cats, Pumpkin and Eric.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm a procrastinator so only think about running [​IMG]

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Glad you decided to post [​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to byc from northern michigan :D

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by