SOS, Chicken Won't Stand/Walk

KONeal22

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
Smidge went MIA last night when everyone else went to bed. She made her way to the coop sometime during the night, my daughter also heard a commotion coming from the coop sometime in the night. This morning Smidge was back but unable to stand/walk. She won't eat/drink either.

Not sure what is going on, she has been healthy until now. Seems like her left leg is the issue but not sure.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_111826982.jpg
    IMG_20240304_111826982.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 26
Was she outside the coop when you found her, or had she gotten back inside? Do you keep them locked up at night? I am just trying to figure out if she was attacked by a predator or the flock. It may be hard to see on her legs, but does she have any swelling, green bruising, or wounds on her legs or feet? Any wounds or punctures, teeth marks on her body? Are both legs lame?

A chicken sling chair might help her to get upright for eating and drinking, and then taken out for periods of sleep. Right now prop her on rolled towels, and hold food and water up to her beak. I use tuna or cat food cans for that. Here are som good examples of chicken slings in post 5, 11-14 and more:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Was she outside the coop when you found her, or had she gotten back inside? Do you keep them locked up at night? I am just trying to figure out if she was attacked by a predator or the flock. It may be hard to see on her legs, but does she have any swelling, green bruising, or wounds on her legs or feet? Any wounds or punctures, teeth marks on her body? Are both legs lame?

A chicken sling chair might help her to get upright for eating and drinking, and then taken out for periods of sleep. Right now prop her on rolled towels, and hold food and water up to her beak. I use tuna or cat food cans for that. Here are som good examples of chicken slings in post 5, 11-14 and more:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

The coop is inside of the run but the chickens sleep on top of the coop instead of in it (I've tried, they won't change!) Last night I left the gate to the run open so she could get in.
I personally think the flock did it. She is one of 3 chickens that just started sleeping with the rest of the flock last week or so. They are smaller and bottom of the pecking order but adjusting. I think maybe she went in after everyone else was settled and got jumped while trying to get up to her friends.

No blood or cuts. Whatever it is is definitely internal. She doesn't seem swollen either, she is willingly letting me touch her which is opposite of any other day. She did stand up once just a few minutes ago but laid right back down.

If she was having a problem walking or showing signs of lameness the others may have attacked her. Mareks can cause similar symptoms if there are no apparent injuries. I would work on getting every one to go to roost inside
the coop. I have left them inside the coop 24/7 to accomplish that. Some coops are too small or get too warm to do that, but I would make sure they get locked up in the evenings, so that a predator doesn’t hurt them.

If she was having a problem walking or showing signs of lameness the others may have attacked her. Mareks can cause similar symptoms if there are no apparent injuries. I would work on getting every one to go to roost inside
the coop. I have left them inside the coop 24/7 to accomplish that. Some coops are too small or get too warm to do that, but I would make sure they get locked up in the evenings, so that a predator doesn’t hurt them.
I have her in a sling. Still not eating or drinking, walking or standing. She is just hanging, with her tail feathers fluffed out. Poor girl.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Back
Top Bottom