SOS have a hurt baby goat!!!

Rofl Sue! She's addicted to the Disney channel as that's all that plays here I swear!

Have an appointment Wednesday to get her a full check up. She's growing really well which is actually not the greatest thing as more weight to pack on that lame leg but good as in she's healthly besides the leg. Kind of a catch 22 sigh. Fingers crossed we get some answers on Wednesday!

Anyone have a picture of the sling you are talking about? Maybe I can rig up something.....

We had a vet appt this morning. I have good news and bad news.... Good news there isn't anything wrong with her actual legs. Bad news after extensive X-rays we found that she has some hair line fractures in the right side of her pelvic bone. Goats pelvic bones should form a square hers doesn't quite. He also said her right hip isn't dislocated (awesome) but that it is loose on that side. He said that her age is a huge plus. He can't guarantee that she will walk but he thinks she stands a fighting chance to. He thought the "goat walker" was an awesome idea to help teach her to walk period. Since she hasn't ever really walked she doesn't get what I'm trying to teach her. He is more worried about getting her to bear weight on the left side. He's apparently seen tons of perfectly healthy three legged goats. No Tylenol or aspirin at this point and said yes she will be sore after physical therapy but since he's going to up her steroid dose to twice a week he's afraid it will hurt more than it will help. We took her off the steroid while she was on the antibiotic but since she backslid that week we are upping her to twice a week on the Dex injection. She is gaining weight well and has pellet poop which he said is the hardest thing to get straightened out after that goes wrong. He commented on her being friendly (until he walked out of the room with her for X-rays then her and my two year old both started screaming their heads off! Lol) bright eyed and alert. So fingers crossed that this starts turning around and we get her up on her feet!

Below is the walker I'm going to make to help her stay in an upright position longer each day.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/pet-...-a-k9-carts/140-lanies-homemade-dog-cart.html

Bad news is also good news in that you found what was wrong. Its nothing she can't live with. On the other hand... poor baby. Give her lots of love from me and wishing you and yours a happy thanksgiving.

That's true! She's bouncing off the walls tonight after that steroid shot has actually freaked out my dog (who is three times her size) so bad that she won't go anywhere near her! Lol

I hope all of you guys have a great Thanksgiving!

I would try and give him raw goats milk, so he can get all the good nutrition he needs.

Unless the herd where the raw goat's milk comes from is tested CAE (caprine arthritis encephalitis) free, do not feed raw goats milk to baby goats. Most breeders feed pasteurized goat milk and heat treated colostrum to their kids. When I had my goats, I fed the kids cow milk form my Jerseys and the calves got the raw goat milk. That way I didn't have to pasteurize any milk. The calves would not get CAE. For the record, baby goats do just fine on cow milk from the store.

Unless the herd where the raw goat's milk comes from is tested CAE (caprine arthritis encephalitis) free, do not feed raw goats milk to baby goats.  Most breeders feed pasteurized goat milk and heat treated colostrum to their kids.  When I had my goats, I fed the kids cow milk form my Jerseys and the calves got the raw goat milk. That way I didn't have to pasteurize any milk.  The calves would not get CAE. For the record, baby goats do just fine on cow milk from the store.

Ya, I couldn't remember the name! Thanks!! We mixed some tested raw goats milk with jersey cow milk from the store and then fed her all cows milk once we ran out

Back
Top Bottom