SOS HELP! Introducing ducks to chickens

Last edited:
I don't have a drake, just 2 female Pekins and I house them separately. They are messy and couldn't imagine adding that to the chicken coop, but a lot of people do with no problems.
Mine also like to chase certain chickens away from the feed while out free ranging so I have multiple feed stations around the yard, even after 4 yrs together.
Good luck with your new ducks and your move. Hoping it all goes smoothly for you.

So long as there are female ducks in with the drake, he won't bother with the hens. I had both together for many years and never had a problem.
I have seen many drakes chasing poor chicken hens and mating them to death even though he had plenty of duck hens, it depends on the drake's personal preference and his hormonal level.

Last edited:
I've known dozens of people who've kept chickens and ducks together with no problems. Farmers have done it for a long, long time. Centuries, in fact. Drakes can be rowdy-- they'll try to mate with anything if there are no ducks around, including other drakes, roosters, dogs, whatever moves, really. But if there are enough ducks around and enough space then it works perfectly fine. If there are troubles, separate the drake out during breeding season, early spring through mid summer.

In one of the examples above, there were three drakes to one duck, and that obviously will not work whether there are chickens or not. Also, the hen in that example was okay. Keeping the coop clean is another issue. Since ducks only need an enclosed space, something like a large dog house with a run, it may be feasible for the OP to buy or build something to keep them separate. It would be better to do it that way for cleanliness, but not all of us have the resources for multiple coops. So I'm saying it can work. Lots of bedding will be needed, and it will be need to be changed out more frequently.

First of all, a drake should not be kept with chicken hens. Do research before allowing chickens and ducks to live together. If a drake successfully mates with a chicken hen, he will make her bleed internally. This kills most hens, with only a few being able to live. I would suggest separating your drake from the others if possible, or totally separating the ducks and chickens-otherwise that would be animal abuse.
I think there’s some research you need to do. Drakes successfully live with chicken hens all the time

I think there’s some research you need to do. Drakes successfully live with chicken hens all the time
I know some drakes don't mess with chicken hens if they have a ton of duck hens that they are constantly worrying about, or if they feel like the chicken hens are too out-of-place to breed with, but apparently you would rather risk your hens' insides being ripped apart than to keep ducks safely away from them. Every drake is different, you never know how he will act.

I've known dozens of people who've kept chickens and ducks together with no problems. Farmers have done it for a long, long time. Centuries, in fact. Drakes can be rowdy-- they'll try to mate with anything if there are no ducks around, including other drakes, roosters, dogs, whatever moves, really. But if there are enough ducks around and enough space then it works perfectly fine. If there are troubles, separate the drake out during breeding season, early spring through mid summer.

In one of the examples above, there were three drakes to one duck, and that obviously will not work whether there are chickens or not. Also, the hen in that example was okay. Keeping the coop clean is another issue. Since ducks only need an enclosed space, something like a large dog house with a run, it may be feasible for the OP to buy or build something to keep them separate. It would be better to do it that way for cleanliness, but not all of us have the resources for multiple coops. So I'm saying it can work. Lots of bedding will be needed, and it will be need to be changed out more frequently.
We are listing our house and moving in less than a month so adding an additional run for the ducks just doesn’t make sense but when we move, we’ll have a perfect set up for them.

The integration actually went perfectly because the chickens are so scared of the ducks they aren’t messing with them 😂 the whole first day the ducks were in the run with the chickens in the coop and then the ducks slept in a large crate at night and the next morning they were all together. I opened the crate and haven’t had issues since!

It’s definitely more upkeep with the water and bedding but way better than the work I would have to do to build an entirely new enclosure.

The drake is also extremely mellow. He’s mates with two of the four birds, and doesn’t have energy for any more than that 😂

I know some drakes don't mess with chicken hens if they have a ton of duck hens that they are constantly worrying about, or if they feel like the chicken hens are too out-of-place to breed with, but apparently you would rather risk your hens' insides being ripped apart than to keep ducks safely away from them. Every drake is different, you never know how he will act.
Of course I am worried about my chickens. But I adopted the drake from a good friend and knew all about his behavior. He doesn’t even mate with all four ducks and the chickens are staying far away from them. The chickens also have access to the run through a tunnel the ducks haven’t figured out yet so I truly believe my chickens are just fine.

We are listing our house and moving in less than a month so adding an additional run for the ducks just doesn’t make sense but when we move, we’ll have a perfect set up for them.

The integration actually went perfectly because the chickens are so scared of the ducks they aren’t messing with them 😂 the whole first day the ducks were in the run with the chickens in the coop and then the ducks slept in a large crate at night and the next morning they were all together. I opened the crate and haven’t had issues since!

It’s definitely more upkeep with the water and bedding but way better than the work I would have to do to build an entirely new enclosure.

The drake is also extremely mellow. He’s mates with two of the four birds, and doesn’t have energy for any more than that 😂
Of course I am worried about my chickens. But I adopted the drake from a good friend and knew all about his behavior. He doesn’t even mate with all four ducks and the chickens are staying far away from them. The chickens also have access to the run through a tunnel the ducks haven’t figured out yet so I truly believe my chickens are just fine.
That is good news. Is he an older drake? I know older males tend to not want to waste their energy mating a lot. I have an elderly rooster, and the most he does 80% of the time is walk up behind a hen, make them squat, claw their back with his foot as if he is preparing to mount them, and then turn away and give up.

That is good news. Is he an older drake? I know older males tend to not want to waste their energy mating a lot. I have an elderly rooster, and the most he does 80% of the time is walk up behind a hen, make them squat, claw their back with his foot as if he is preparing to mount them, and then turn away and give up.
He’s not surprising. He’s only a year and a half. He was raised as a baby by my friend

Back
Top Bottom