Sound proofing our coop?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Our 5 white leghorns get quite loud when wanting to come out and singing the egg song. I feel our coop produces resonance since the walls are plywood(we have yet to paint the outside) and the front door is large and just has wire mesh. The coop floor is also wire mesh so poop falls through. If we decide to soundproof it'll be difficult since the coop is done. What is the easiest and cheapest way to put sound absorbing material within the coop?

You could cut some cheap pine boards for the floor and make it a solid floor forget the wire and fill it with shavings it might act as a sound deadening........

Could you add pink or blue foam sheets or fiberglass insulation? If you added 2x2's studs to the walls, you could insulate like you would a house. It would also keep the coop warmer in winter and cooler in summer. It the coop is not too big, it would not be too expensive.

Could you add pink or blue foam sheets or fiberglass insulation? If you added 2x2's studs to the walls, you could insulate like you would a house. It would also keep the coop warmer in winter and cooler in summer. It the coop is not too big, it would not be too expensive.
Perhaps we could. I think our coop is 4 ft wide, 7 ft long, and around 5 feet high.

You could cut some cheap pine boards for the floor and make it a solid floor forget the wire and fill it with shavings it might act as a sound deadening........

I'm thinking the sound may just go to the ground and will be absorbed. There are also plywood panels on the front to keep our dogs from getting under the coop, and also for cleaning.

Maybe just put a sheet of foam insulation on the wall that's on the house and maybe the ceiling.
But cover it up on the wall so they don't peck at it and eat it.
You may also just grow used to the noise in time.

That sounds good. We got a letter a while ago that chickens aren't allowed so we've been trying to keep them quiet. I'm setting up the powerpoint to fight the council though.

Back
Top Bottom