Soup Chicken Salvation!

Mr Moo

Hatching
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Hello All.

Well, we finally signed up to BYC after lurking for the past 6 months. We are fairly new chicken owners in the city of Adelaide, South Australia, although Mr Moo grew up with chickens on farms many, many decades ago.

We have many a tale to tell, like all loving chicken owners. We will be sharing stories here and on our website, dedicated to our beautiful free-ranging girls at http://happyhens.net (still under construction).

Our main chicken story today is about the rescue of 8 'Soup Chickens'.

On a visit to our local fodder store to pick up feed for our resident girls, Mr Moo came across 8 Australorps in a cage at the end of the main shed. On enquiring about the price, Mr Moo was told that they were 'Soup Chickens', being over 2 years old, and that they were there for the eating by any local who might want to come and take them away for slaughter and cooking! The price... they were free! Well, these girls were just beautiful, and we felt that they deserved a more dignified end to their lives, so 4 were immediately adopted and taken to Miss Jane's house for a sun-loving free-range retirement. On the return journey our conscience couldn't let the other 4 suffer the fate of the pot, so they were rescued too.

So, here... meet the New Girls!

Australorps 1-3 (Click to Enlarge)

Well? (Click to Enlarge)

Australorps 1-3 & 5-7 (Click to Enlarge)

We almost doubled our flock size in a single afternoon, with the most beautiful gentle girls imaginable. We have decided to give them all chicken soup names, in honour of their timely rescue!

All of the girls will eventually have their own profile page at http://happyhens.net . Do drop by for a visit.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful chicken advice on BYC. It has been invaluable!

Best wishes,

Miss Jane and Mr Moo.

Last edited:
Oh, wow! What a wonderful story! I love happy endings...

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Hi there. Great story! Glad y'all were able to provide a loving home! My first chickens were stew pot rescues as well. They lived out the remainder of their years following us around and sleeping in our laps! Hope you enjoy your new girls. They are lovely!

Hi All.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and for your interest in our soup chickens rescue!

Here's a better photo of one of the new girls...

Top of The Pecking Order (Click to Enlarge)

Only two of the new girls have been given their soup names so far... Chicken Noodle, and Chicken Dumpling
smile.png

We'll keep you posted...

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the Resident Girls working out the Pecking Order. None of the new Australorps (the newly acquired 'Soup Chickens') were involved in this incident.

Resolving the Pecking Order... A Moment of High Drama (Click to Enlarge)

Last edited:
Hi there. Great story! Glad y'all were able to provide a loving home! My first chickens were stew pot rescues as well. They lived out the remainder of their years following us around and sleeping in our laps! Hope you enjoy your new girls. They are lovely!

Thanks for your message. Ahhh... a fellow chicken rescuer! I'm inspired by your tale.
smile.png

Yes, they are lovely girls, and all very happy in their new home. I don't think they have been free-ranging in the past, because they tend to stay in the hen-house on the roost quite a lot during the day. The outside world seems to perplex them somewhat. No doubt they'll get used to it.

Here are photos of the last two 'Soup Chickens'... Chicken Dumpling (Australorp No 4, from the first group of girls) and Chicken Noodle (Australorp No 8, from the second group).

Chicken Dumpling... she's a Very Old Girl

Chicken Noodle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom