Sour Crop and possible worms

3JT

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Hi everyone. I have a year old hen who has sour crop. Approx 2 months ago I noticed one of my other hens started to lay some soft shell eggs. I immediately realized something was wrong. She was eating, drinking and acting normally otherwise. Poop was also normal. I hadn’t wormed the girls in a year and whenever I had their poop checked in the past only roundworms were found so that is what I treated for with Safeguard for 5 days. Hen started laying normal eggs again and all was good.

A couple weeks after that the same hen started to get a purplish color to the back top end of her comb. It would occasionally go away for a bit but would return. I noticed her poop was a little soft but not runny. Then one of my other hens also started with the same purple on the back top part of her comb that would come and go. Her stool stayed solid. I checked the girls for lice and mites; nothing. All acting normally. I ended up taking a stool sample in for fecal float and round worm eggs were still found. Vet told me to retreat with Safeguard for 3 days and then repeat in 3 weeks. I find that direction odd since it doesn’t match anything else I’ve read. But I did finish the first of 3 day retreat.

About 4 days after I completed that dose, the 2nd hen from above developed a flopped comb after she lay an egg and just sat in the nesting box. I went to get her out to see what was going on and realized her crop was like a balloon. I separated her from the flock and removed her food and water, though she didn’t seem to want it anyway. When I picked her up clear liquid came out of her beak; no odor. The next morning her crop was still full and squishy like water filled. I had tried to massage it several times the previous day and that morning but it did not seem like anything was draining. She had a little liquid come out of her beak again when I moved her and it was starting to have a faint sour smell so I started miconazole.

She would not drink anything. I realized she would die if I didn’t do something so I decided to make her vomit later in the day. I was able to clear half of her crop contents which was mostly milky white water and a couple meal worms and pieces of feed. She then started drinking garlic water. That evening I gave her some scrambled egg with probiotics which she gobbled up.

This morning I emptied her crop again but only got a little out. There is still liquid in it and does not seem to drain on its own. I am giving the miconazole twice daily. She took a few bites and sips today so far but not much. I am wondering if there is a big worm load and the safeguard hasn’t been effective and that is why they also have the purplish combs. I was thinking of giving her Valbazen. Will it absorb and be effective if her crop isn’t draining? Also she is pooping diarrhea about 2-3 times/day now. Thank you so much for your help!

This doesn't sound good. You are treating the sour crop with the right meds, but something else is going on that it causing the crop issues. The trick is finding out the cause and treating that.

You can try the Valbazen. At this point, it couldn't hurt. I also advise not vomiting her as it is too easy to cause aspiration. I lost a hen earlier this year after she accidentally aspirated on vomit just from me picking her up incorrectly. It was a horrible, painful death.

In my experience, though, crop issues are often the result of more serious problems, like reproductive disorders. And the soft shell eggs could be an indication of that. I hope that not the case. It could also be an infection causing inflammation, which slows the crop. If you feel that might be the issue, antibiotics might help. You can get fish mox at pet supply stores or Baytril for birds online - both without prescription.

I wish I had advice that I know would work and make her better.
:hugs

This doesn't sound good. You are treating the sour crop with the right meds, but something else is going on that it causing the crop issues. The trick is finding out the cause and treating that.

You can try the Valbazen. At this point, it couldn't hurt. I also advise not vomiting her as it is too easy to cause aspiration. I lost a hen earlier this year after she accidentally aspirated on vomit just from me picking her up incorrectly. It was a horrible, painful death.

In my experience, though, crop issues are often the result of more serious problems, like reproductive disorders. And the soft shell eggs could be an indication of that. I hope that not the case. It could also be an infection causing inflammation, which slows the crop. If you feel that might be the issue, antibiotics might help. You can get fish mox at pet supply stores or Baytril for birds online - both without prescription.

I wish I had advice that I know would work and make her better.
:hugs
Thank you for the suggestions. I did give her the Valbazen yesterday. I also gave her a stool softener today just in case. Now that I’m thinking back, she had a poop that had a bunch of undigested grass recently so I wonder if she’s bound up further down and just having diarrhea around it. The soft shell eggs were from the other hen so I’d be surprised if there is an issue that way. She really is not doing well. Hardly drinking. Should I be syringe feeding her despite her having this full crop?

Thank you for the suggestions. I did give her the Valbazen yesterday. I also gave her a stool softener today just in case. Now that I’m thinking back, she had a poop that had a bunch of undigested grass recently so I wonder if she’s bound up further down and just having diarrhea around it. The soft shell eggs were from the other hen so I’d be surprised if there is an issue that way. She really is not doing well. Hardly drinking. Should I be syringe feeding her despite her having this full crop?
Oh - I thought this hen was laying the soft shell eggs. Oops! My b. And I hope the Valbazen does the trick!

I wouldn't syringe feed her until that crop empties. It may be an impacted crop, then, based on what you describe. How well did it empty overnight?

Oh - I thought this hen was laying the soft shell eggs. Oops! My b. And I hope the Valbazen does the trick!

I wouldn't syringe feed her until that crop empties. It may be an impacted crop, then, based on what you describe. How well did it empty overnight?
Very little if any. I will give her more stool softener and Miconazole in a bit. I am trying to give her drops of fluids with electrolytes and probiotics throughout the day. The only thing she will take on her own is a couple sips of watermelon juice. I did just soak some of her feed in water and then poured it through a sieve so that I just got some nutrients out of it and then mixed that water with some Greek yogurt and syringed that to her. She only took in about 2 cc of that.

Back
Top Bottom