Sour crop now?!

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
My chickens started showing signs of coccidiosis weds morning and I started everyone on corid In their water and also did with syringe to be safe. I noticed Thursday am my Silkie hen had big squishy crop and when i picked her up Liquid poured out it doesn’t have any smell tho. I know it doesn’t always necessarily but..She’s still kind of lethargic. Others are up and playing again and she’s still off. I read on here
People saying just continue with Corid since
It’s probably related to coccidiosis. I’m really worried that she’s not really starting to perk up!? What should I do? How can I relieve her?!

Attachments

• A261D445-9A73-4509-800B-0F5564F54E46.jpeg
    A261D445-9A73-4509-800B-0F5564F54E46.jpeg
    635.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 93B43A4E-814C-456C-BBFC-AF2793BD00A7.jpeg
    93B43A4E-814C-456C-BBFC-AF2793BD00A7.jpeg
    547.3 KB · Views: 3
My chickens started showing signs of coccidiosis weds morning and I started everyone on corid In their water and also did with syringe to be safe. I noticed Thursday am my Silkie hen had big squishy crop and when i picked her up Liquid poured out it doesn’t have any smell tho. I know it doesn’t always necessarily but..She’s still kind of lethargic. Others are up and playing again and she’s still off. I read on here
It’s probably related to coccidiosis. I’m really worried that she’s not really starting to perk up!? What should I do? How can I relieve her?!
Maybe sour crop in addition to coccidiosis. Check to see if her crop empties in the morning (before food). In the meantime, feed her wetted chicken feed.

Maybe sour crop in addition to coccidiosis. Check to see if her crop empties in the morning (before food). In the meantime, feed her wetted chicken feed.
How do i get her to eat it if she’s not really showing interest in it? She’s always sitting like this majority of the time when I go to check on her and the rest of the babies in her flock.

How do i get her to eat it if she’s not really showing interest in it? She’s always sitting like this majority of the time when I go to check on her and the rest of the babies in her flock.
How long has she been not eating? My hen did not really quit eating, although, chickens may like wetted feed more...

@Eggcessive mentioned that one of her sour crop patients had a reproductive issue as well.

@Wyorp Rock helped with my sour crop hen. I got an anti fungal cream (monistat 7).

How old is she?

Please post some photos of her poop?
What do you feed?

IF you have started the Corid, then I would finish the course of treatment. Dose for liquid Corid is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days.

It sounds like her crop is not emptying overnight too. This could happen with Coccidiosis, but I would also treat her for Sour Crop as described in the article linked below. You can find miconazole or clotrimazole at walmart, cvs, etc.

She may need the fluff trimmed back from around her eyes so she can see better. Often when birds like that can't see very well, they don't eat/drink like they should.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is she?

Please post some photos of her poop?
What do you feed?

IF you have started the Corid, then I would finish the course of treatment. Dose for liquid Corid is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days.

It sounds like her crop is not emptying overnight too. This could happen with Coccidiosis, but I would also treat her for Sour Crop as described in the article linked below. You can find miconazole or clotrimazole at walmart, cvs, etc.

She may need the fluff trimmed back from around her eyes so she can see better. Often when birds like that can't see very well, they don't eat/drink like they should.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is 2 months old. They eat Dumor or Nutrena medicated chick feed. I trimmed her a couple days ago but then i also trimmed her a little bit more yesterday cause I was wondering if that was it too so was like I’ll try trimming more but no? And we’ve been continuing with CORID still I’ve been massaging her crop gently to help her. I saw it said you treat them with it orally.. i just give her it plain? I can attach a photo of one of her poops from earlier. I attached a photo of her back side she’s a mess I can’t even see her vent? The others I’m treating for coccidiosis don’t look like that on their butts?!

Attachments

• 8052CAA8-45F8-4FB1-A98E-E1B298D9FFF7.jpeg
    8052CAA8-45F8-4FB1-A98E-E1B298D9FFF7.jpeg
    1,005 KB · Views: 3
  • 338AB272-CA6F-449C-83D3-476DE4C2C742.jpeg
    338AB272-CA6F-449C-83D3-476DE4C2C742.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 3
They eat Dumor or Nutrena medicated chick feed.

I’ve been massaging her crop gently to help her. I saw it said you treat them with it orally.. i just give her it plain?
How fresh is your feed? Can you look at the dates on the bags? Do you notice any off smell to the feed?

What else are you feeding - including treats and do you provide grit for your chicks?

Not quite sure what you mean = treat them with "it" orally and give it to her plain?
If you are talking about Corid, then the chicks need that in their drinking water - they need to be drinking.

If the crop is sour, don't massage. Tell us what the crop felt like this morning before she had anything to eat/drink.
Photos of where they are housed (brooder/coop/run) would be good too.

I just picked up a fresh new bag of feed I keep them in these containers(attached photo below) I’ll give them meal worms they ate a good amount of blueberries and raspberries they free range about in the garden we have blueberries and raspberries I’ll see their little fat butts jump up and grab berries off the bushes 🤣what I meant by orally was Im actually doing corid in their water made sure all their water they had access to was Corid mixture everyone got at least 2 doses of the drench by syringe a few others who’s poop was quite bloody had several. It’s all over now I’m still treating with corid water. And my silkie with sour crop I pulled her food for a bit over night helped her drain it and the next day she was good! She’s back with eating and pecking around with her flock! That was quite the scare I’ve never dealt with this the whole time owning chickens! This year was a year of many firsts I’ll tell you that much. Never a dull moment here🤣I was going to treat for 7 days with Corid to be safe.. do I treat them again ever for a prevention? I have both powder and liquid corid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom