Sour crop

charlie girl

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2017
My nine-month-old hen was injured about 10 days ago when a piece of wood dropped on her. She did not eat the first 24 hours but then she started eating and drinking small amounts. I know her neck and or crop was injured. The first couple of days she could not even tuck her nose into her wing to sleep. And could not reach her feathers to clean her self. But after a few days she got better and was eating and drinking. Her poops are normal and she can now clean her whole body but her crop is rock hard. I looked online and they talked about sour crop. Today I smelled what I think might be sour breath. I live on a small island and there are veterinarians here but no one that has extensive knowledge of chickens. What can I do to help her get over sour crop? Is there anything to do? Can they recover from sour crop?

It's good that she's drinking and eating a bit.
When you check her crop - is that first thing in the morning? Re-check in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Have you noticed if the neck or crop has any wounds/cuts that need tending?

Just trying to get a better picture of her injury and condition in my head - a board dropped on her and you feel that her neck or crop was injured - the crop is on the right side of the breast - so did the board possibly cut her crop?

I would work on getting her hydrated. Offer coconut oil and massage the crop - try to see if you can tell if the hardness is from swelling due to injury, if it's packed with food, has fluid or air.

Here's a good article about crop issues

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom