Sour Crop

momtobogey

Chirping
May 30, 2020
Northern California
Does a hen with sour crop need her crop to be emptied before beginning monistat treatment? I've tried to empty her crop but nothing comes out. She has bad smell from her beak and white runny poop. She is a 4 year old speckled Sussex. I've massaged her crop, given her monistat, epsom salt soaks, yogurt, Nutri-dench. Nothing seems to be working and it's going on 10 days. I called my vet and cannot afford $275 for an appointment and euthanasia.

Suze Hen died on March 8th. I wanted to find out why she died, and I'm close to UCDavis, I took her to have a necropsy done. She died of
egg yolk peritonitis. From the report: This is one of the most common causes of mortality in chickens and typically results from an ascending infection from the cloaca to the reproductive tract and abdomen. E. coli and Gallibacterium anatis are the most common bacteria isolated in SPS condition of backyard chickens.

Suze Hen died on March 8th. I wanted to find out why she died, and I'm close to UCDavis, I took her to have a necropsy done. She died of
egg yolk peritonitis. From the report: This is one of the most common causes of mortality in chickens and typically results from an ascending infection from the cloaca to the reproductive tract and abdomen. E. coli and Gallibacterium anatis are the most common bacteria isolated in SPS condition of backyard chickens.
i’m so sorry 😢

Back
Top Bottom