Sour Crop!!!!!

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
My chicken has and balloon like crop that feels like liquid. She has had it for a few days. She tries to "throw up" by moving her head up and down, but nothing comes out. And after she drinks water she throws up yellow liquid. She squirted out watery poop today, but still dosent look good. Does anyone have suggestions how to get rid of her sour crop?

If it is sour you should smell it from her mouth. I read a post on how to do this and it seems easy enough. First either give her veggie oil or olive oil ( if she will not drink it then syringe it to her), Then hold her upside down extending her neck and massage her crop. she should "vomit" Only do this in short amounts of time making sure you put her back up right so she can breath. Also beware what comes out it should smell and be gross. Hope this helps .

Thank You for the reply!!! Is there any other treatment besides having them upside down and massaging their crop(It seems to risky)??? And how does apple vinegar help them?? She is doing O.K but she still doesnt want to eat.

Last edited:
ACV won't necessarily prevent issues, but it will help, and it won't hurt to have some in your flock's water at all times. Regular ACV is OK but it is better to have as natural as you can find. The stuff that still has some apples in it is best, I think it is Braggs or something like that. I think you can get it at most health food stores. If all you have is the regular stuff it won't hurt them.

If you want to get some feed in her you could give her some soupy oatmeal, feed (crumbles) soaked in water, or bread soaked in water and broken into tiny pieces. As long as it is soft enough to slip through her crop without much clogging things up it should be good.

Thank You for the reply!!! She still hasn't fully recovered, but is doing a little bit better. I will start feeding her on a yogurt diet tomorrow.

UPDATE: she is really weak and is very unbalanced and dosent want to eat, but she will drink her water that has nutri-drench. Please help!! Is there any medication that I can use to help her with her sour crop? Is there any way to get her to eat?

UPDATE: she is really weak and is very unbalanced and dosent want to eat, but she will drink her water that has nutri-drench. Please help!! Is there any medication that I can use to help her with her sour crop? Is there any way to get her to eat?
First, you need to keep her isolated by herself and no freeranging. Do not feed her anything that is not water soluable. So only her layer feed, dampened, maybe some hard boiled eggs drenched in yogurt. When her crop gets too bloated, you will need to "vomit" her to get that gunk out. It is poisonous. So hold her in one arm like a football and with the other hand, support her at the crop. Lean her forward only, beak down. Massage the crop till the gunk pours out her beak. Only hold her like this for 7 or 8 seconds. Tip her back up and let her catch her breath. Do it again. You may need to vomit her twice a day for a day or two, but that stuff will not move thru her and is toxic. Keep her confined until her crop emtpies over night.

Put apple cider vinegar in her water, 3 tablespoons for one gallon of water. Have her drink this for one week. Offer it to all the flock for a week. You can also put probiotics in the feed. The ACV will keep the yeast/fungal infection in the crop at bay.

She will not starve to death if she does not eat for a day. Keep this program up for several days til you get a hold of the sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom