Sour Crop?

Sweetpea325

Chirping
Jun 22, 2012
Port Republic, MD
I believe one of my little roo's has sour crop. His breath smells just awful but he is eating and drinking just fine. He's had the bad breathe for some time now with no change. I do not have a chicken vet anywhere near me, are there any easy but fast working solutions for this before he gets too bad?

Make sure that he has a full squishy crop if he has sour crop--that is the biggest sign. Foul odor can also be a symptom of coryza, a respiratory disease, which would usually be causing symptoms like swelling of the face or eyes, nasal discharge, etc. Here is a good link for sour crop treatment: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

In addition nystatin is very good for treatment of sour crop if you can get a prescription, or try to get Medistatin online without one.

His crop does feel alittle squishy but not enlarged or abnormal feeling compared to my other chickens. It is empty in the morning and at night it's somewhat full and squishy. He doesn't have any nasal discharge or swelling on his face. His two sisters have the same smelly breath. My roo has watery poop and his two sisters have small long poop. Unlike the rest of my flock which are normal in there droppings. I tried to message his crop with him at a down ward angle to see if he would throw it up but he just held his mouth open the whole time with no results.

Does that sound like sour crop or could it be one of the respiratory diseases you mentions?

Back
Top Bottom