Sour/Impacted crop - searching for a root cause

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I am looking for an advice. I was able to rescue from death probably the only silver Brahma pullet in South Bulgaria, she had a sour crop and the owner hadn't noticed.
I didn't do the Epsom salt flushing.
Treated with Nystatin, she cleared. De-wormed her, she didn't have worms. 2 days after I stopped Nystatin she developed impacted crop. Massage morning and evening + black cummin oil cleared it after 2 days. Then a day later she again had a sour crop! She is now on Fluconazole and I am starting to think what could be the root cause of these continuous crop issues. She DOES have a respiratory problem as well as she is sneezing and has nasal discharge, but sneezing stops when she is out at the Sun. Brown watery poops. She prefers to eat sand/dig in the soil (not sure if related).
So, I read possible (some of many) root cause for crop issues could be:
- canker (not sure about the spelling). I don't see anything in her beak, could she have canker somewhere else bypassing the beak? I could treat with Ronidazole.

- coccidiosis infection - she hasn't been treated against coccidiosis, so I have Baycox (toltrazuril) at hand.

- since she has respiratory problem as well could Mycoplasma be a root cause for these sour/impacted crops that she is having?

I have not given her any antibiotic for the respiratory issue as if she is kept warm she is not sneezing (well, brown watery poops remain). I give her mint tea + some other herbs in the water + obviously vitamins.
When I initially took her (2 weeks ago) I did a feces test and it showed clear.
Any advice, opinion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How old is she?

It could be a combination of things.
Sounds like she has respiratory disease so that's a possibility.
Treating for Coccidiosis may be a good idea.

The eating of dirt, she may be searching for suitable grit(?)

A blockage or reproductive issue may be causing some of the problems too. Sometimes treating symptoms as they arise is the best you can do.

She is around 4-5 months old, but apparently has some problems as she is so tiny and fragile! I will do a fecal float tomorrow to check for coccidiosis.
IF she has coccidiosis, do you happen to know dosage of Baycox 2.5% (toltrazuril)? I know it is 1ml per 1 litre of water but most vets here recommend to put undiluted medications straight in the beak. So I would like to know how many ml of Baycox 2.5% per day she needs to drink. Again IF she has coccidiosis...

She is around 4-5 months old, but apparently has some problems as she is so tiny and fragile! I will do a fecal float tomorrow to check for coccidiosis.
IF she has coccidiosis, do you happen to know dosage of Baycox 2.5% (toltrazuril)? I know it is 1ml per 1 litre of water but most vets here recommend to put undiluted medications straight in the beak. So I would like to know how many ml of Baycox 2.5% per day she needs to drink. Again IF she has coccidiosis...
I don't know the direct oral drench dose for Baycox.
@casportpony may know, but if you find that she does have Coccidiosis, then I would go ahead and mix per directions on your bottle, make sure she's drinking, if not, then syringe the mixed water into her every couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom