Sour Watermelon

kreisherk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Hello to all and happy Tuesday.
wee.gif
Anybody know whether or not you can feed chickens slightly soured watermelon? My chickies love watermelon but not sure if it's safe for them to eat soured watermelon. I have half a one that had gone sour before we finished it. Any thoughts?

LOL Everyone!!....17 views and not a single reply. Well I didn't think it would hurt to try and give them the watermelon.....they devoured it. It was just a little sour but not moldy or anything. I figured if it was something they shouldn't eat they likely won't since many farms let their chickens free range they have access to a wide variety of things they shouldn't eat and don't, with rare exceptions I'm sure. Anyway, kind of answered my own question if anybody wanted to know.

Last edited:
I don't know what a sour watermelon is. If it is not moldy, feed it to them. This applies to anything for the chickens. If you cannot safely eat it, they shouldn't have it.

I know you have already done this, but I have been away.

Chris

Oh, just a little sour...no problem. Actually, my egg birds just ate a moldy watermelon rind a few days ago, and they're still alive. :) If it's just slightly off, I don't think there'd be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom