Source for ingredients for Homemade cleaning supplies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by amyquilt, Jun 25, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OK here ya go!

BAKING Soda=sodium bicarbonate
    http://www.chemistrystore.com/cart.cgi?group=49941&child=49943

WASHING Soda=sodium Carbonate
    http://www.chemistrystore.com/cart.cgi?group=49941&child=49946

Borax=sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate.
    http://www.chemistrystore.com/cart.cgi?group=49899&child=49903

This place also has fragrance and essential oils, bottles, containers....tons of things we can use to make homemade cleaning supplies! Citric acid(used in cheese making), lye(sodium hydroxide), and tons of other soap making supplies, too!

www.thechemistrystore.com is the main url

ENJOY!

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I'm going to have to save all those links becauase I really want to get away from having to buy alot of my stuff at the store. I know I'll still have to buy the supplies to make it but I would rather do it myself and know what is in it then not.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    The great thing with The Chemistry Store is that several people that live near each other can go together on their order and order in bulk and get great prices.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Costco sells baking soda in 5lb. Bags and vinegar in 1-1/2 gal. jugs. Home Depot has Murphy's Oil Soap and Simple Green by the gallon. I use the first 3 alot. . .Borax comes in handy for certain things, washing soda is too alkaline for me, though I do have a box, I rarely use it. I use 7th Gen d/w soap for most things in varying amounts with water and alcohol or a very light bleach spray for disinfecting.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    Washing Soda = Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Carbonate is available in the pool care section of almost any walmart, target, kmart, etc. as a ";H increaser" or "pH plus". If you look on the label, it is normally 98% Sodium Carbonate & 2% inert ingredients. That is what I'm using. [​IMG]

6. leitha2006

leitha2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I use baking soda and vinegar on my stove works wonderful. The baking soda is abrasive and the vinegar is a great cleaner.

1 part sugar and 1 part borax to kill ants!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Where can I buy Elbow Grease? It's highly recommended for lots of cleaning projects. I used to have a lot on hand, but I seem to have less each year. My children have a very difficult time finding any for them to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by