source for small # of hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maizey, Dec 25, 2010.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know of a source for a very small # of eggs for hatching, like between 3-5? I want specific kinds to boot..buff orptington and delaware.. just wondered if anyone would sell so few of a specific kind...of course if someone has both kinds I could see getting a dozen from one source. Thoughts?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Not sure where you are located, but if you are ever near my area I'd be happy to give you a few Buff Orpington eggs once mine start back to laying. Don't have any delawares and don't ship though.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Some people sell hatching eggs in lots of 6+. Usually you see them in larger quantities however, because shipped eggs don't always have very good hatch rates. So while you may set 12 eggs, you may only end up with 6 chicks -- or less. That's something you'll want to consider. You can always sell extra chicks, if you buy 3 eggs though and only 1 hatches you're back at square one. If you really only want to set a few eggs at a time sourcing them locally will be your best bet. You could place a request in the most relevant Where am I? Where are You? thread here on BYC, post on craigslist, search ebay and eggbid for local auctions and ask about pick-up, etc.

Good Luck!

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    If you're wanting shipped I could get some Buff eggs from Mississippifarmboy and I have Delaware eggs. I have no problem with just sending a few, and MSfarmboy is my neighbor. We might just have to arrange to bump into each other at the feed store when his Buffs start laying again [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. maizey

looks like you are about a 3 hour drive there mississippifarmboy...which isnt out of the question at all. I will greatfuly consider your offer. Im not anywhere near ready to do anything with them right now so I can certainly wait on your girls.

I actually wouldn't mind if only one of 3 hatched.. Hubby says no more than THREE..count em ONE- TWO -THREE chickens [​IMG]

I already have three... so if I could just get one buff orpington and one delaware.. that would still be THREE...plus these two teeeny ineey baby chickens..see how small and cute they are? [​IMG]

I have one of those table top incubators that only hold 3 eggs anyway.. I am a small scale and slighly surreptitious operation

6. maizey

cool cindyloo! hmmm..... let me get back to you on this.. I haven't even taken the incubator out of the box..i have some research to do. I didn't expect to find such helpful folks so soon! Thanks guys!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Cindiloohoo - bound to happen ain't it?

Maizey - Chicks don't count! Chicken math rules!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would contact bargain on here. I believe she has both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by