South African looking at fly tying hackle breeds

Hi Guys

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies, I have never been on a site/forum (and im on a lot) where the members are so friendly & welcoming. Being quite involved in a lot of fly fishing and tying pages and forums, social media etc. its astounding how many fly tyers we actually have in SA. Carin u and i need to get in contact as we have A LOT to chat about especially as i am in KZN to.

For all the guys who have commented on this thread id like to show you why South Africa could become one of the best hackle producing areas in the world and here is why. For those Non South Africans we have an ethnic group of people known as the Zulus, The rural Zulus who make up the bulk of our farm labour in the Natal area have a LOT of different livestock which roam freely around the villages. Chickens are one of their favourites.

Sadly due to our political and apartheid history these people were never educated in Agriculture and its a shame as through the hundreds of years that these local villages have been in existence new villagers have brought Chickens in and with them being free roaming they have bred and produced some STUNNING coloured chickens. I took a drive to one of our local communities where my farm staff come from and managed to find a great example of what i am talking about. There is no specific breed as they have crossed so many times but by the amount of offspring there is no sign of sterility. The owner of this fowl is reluctant for me to buy him but has offered me 2 small hens for 30 Rand each about 2.5UD which are offspring of this pictured rooster and they look amazing. She has also allowed me to also let him cover any new hens i may acquire.

There are many more like him with stunning colours and all have some nice hackle which i believe with decent management and crossing with good genetic stock could produce some amazing quality roosters for the Hackle Market.

Id love to hear some feedback especially from the guys who are in the hackle breeding business. Send me a PM.

Kindest Regards

Matt

Back
Top Bottom