South Dakota guy learning about chickens

Spectral

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Good Day one and all,

Just joined the forum, obviously, hence the introduction. Let's see - retired military - 22 years. Recently retired again - different career.

Now starting learning about chickens, managed to acquire four, albeit only two appear to be laying. I have read several books on chickens and still have a lot of questions. Probably already spent too much money on coop, pen, feed and the like.

Still trying to learn my way around the forum, will most likely make some mistakes in where I post a question. I will try to read some of the posts here before I ask the silly questions, but then again, the only silly question is the one not asked.

Looking forward to learning because

If you stop learning - you stop living.

Al

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! There are no silly questions. We all had to start somewhere. You might start by doing some reading in our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of raising your new flock..https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you recently brought these hens home, they may stop laying for a while. The stress of moving can cause them to clamp off the eggs for several weeks. So give them time to adjust. Keep fake eggs in the nest boxes so they know where you want them to lay.

Make yourself at home around the forums. Click on that tab at the top that says Forum and that will take you to the list of our forums. If you have a question, pick the best place you think it belongs. You can also search for previous threads in that search bar beneath those tabs. Sometimes you can find your answer in our archives. Most questions have been asked many times.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Al. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thank you for your many years of service to our country. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Hi Al, nice to meet you. Thank you sincerely for your years in service. I hope you are enjoying your second retirement.. Have you visited the Learning Center? It is a very good place to start. If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum., you can locate and post on your state thread. Folks from your area could give added insight to what breeds do best and how to handle the seasonal climate changes. You may also found chickeners near by and have a 3 dimensional friendship with them. By all means, Welcome to Backyard chickens, very glad you joined the flock.

My heartfelt appreciation to all of the welcomes. Just added another hen to the group, quite a challenge, and the gal is still not being warmly welcomed. Sigh, I guess time will tell.

Thanks all for the greetings.

Al

Back
Top Bottom