Southern States version of flock raiser?

msviolaceous

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
There are two feed stores around here, and neither are great, but the one I prefer to shop at is a Southern States. I tried to switch from chick starter, but the clerk could find nothing in her roster of foods that was for a mixed flock. She just asked if they are laying yet... well, no, and they are going to start at different times because I have a white leghorn, a rsl, two bo's and two wyandottes! They are 20the weeks now, can I just switch them to layer food already? Or does Southern States have a flock raiser type product after all? Or do I have to shop at the crappy store?
sad.png

Last edited:
I believe once they are past 16 weeks layer feed is alright. The extra calcium is only dangerous to younger birds that are developing their bone structure. You might want to add high protein treats into their diet, if you want to fill them out a little.

My Southern States store has ordered in Flock Raiser for me before. It wasn't the regular Southern States brand. It doesn't sound like your store is as good about ordering things in. Mine can and will bring in anything you can imagine. It's not just a feed store. It's more like our tiny town's General Store.

But anyway, just go with the Layer feed. Twenty weeks is old enough.
smile.png

Good to know, thanks! I went ahead and put out the layer pellets, and they don't seem too weirded out by the switch. As for high-protein treats, I give them a big scoop of BOSS every other day or so, that qualifies, right? They are pretty picky about treats but all six of them love BOSS.

Nothing wrong with Southern States except the price. You'd be much better off to leave the feed store and go to a feed mill. If you are in the South (assumption based on Southern States brand) then you can bet there is a mill with an hour or so of you. Even if you just go once a month or so you can save a ton of money.

Back
Top Bottom