Soy free chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1HppyChicknLuvr, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 1HppyChicknLuvr

1HppyChicknLuvr New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    I've been feeding my chickens organic layer and would like to switch them to No Soy organic layer. How long does it take the soy to get out of their system?

2. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    Welcome to BYC.

Good question. I'd like to know the same thing.

3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Do you mean when will their eggs no longer have any soy residue in them? I don't really know, but here are my thoughts.

I suppose they may always have a miniscule amount of soy residue because hens have a bunch of teeny tiny yolks inside them. However, it takes about two weeks for the yolks to go from just tiny (like the size of a small pea and smaller) to the size of a mature yolk ready to head into the fallopian tube and get an egg white and egg shell put on around it. If soy allergies are not an issue for the egg eater, I would say 2-3 weeks.

As for eating the whole chicken ... well, I'm not sure at all since the cartilage and bones could have soy residue permanently, I would guess.

We've been eating soy-free eggs for years. There was a noticeable taste difference when we switched over--much richer, creamier, and eggier (less bland). Hope you enjoy the new flavor!

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I read it takes about a week for the soy to leave their systems.

5. manaze88

manaze88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Berryville, Virginia
    My favorite subject....the whole reason I have chickens is because I'm allergic to soy. I've read 2 weeks for the soy proteins to be eliminated from the egg and meat, but I don't have a link to anything to back that up. If you're eliminated the soy due to allergies, then I would at least give it 2 weeks.

Mine have been raised on soy free feed, and I just got my first eggs this week.

Good luck, and if you have any other soy free type questions, let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by