Soy free chickens

1HppyChicknLuvr

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
I've been feeding my chickens organic layer and would like to switch them to No Soy organic layer. How long does it take the soy to get out of their system?

Do you mean when will their eggs no longer have any soy residue in them? I don't really know, but here are my thoughts.

I suppose they may always have a miniscule amount of soy residue because hens have a bunch of teeny tiny yolks inside them. However, it takes about two weeks for the yolks to go from just tiny (like the size of a small pea and smaller) to the size of a mature yolk ready to head into the fallopian tube and get an egg white and egg shell put on around it. If soy allergies are not an issue for the egg eater, I would say 2-3 weeks.

As for eating the whole chicken ... well, I'm not sure at all since the cartilage and bones could have soy residue permanently, I would guess.

We've been eating soy-free eggs for years. There was a noticeable taste difference when we switched over--much richer, creamier, and eggier (less bland). Hope you enjoy the new flavor!

Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My favorite subject....the whole reason I have chickens is because I'm allergic to soy. I've read 2 weeks for the soy proteins to be eliminated from the egg and meat, but I don't have a link to anything to back that up. If you're eliminated the soy due to allergies, then I would at least give it 2 weeks.

Mine have been raised on soy free feed, and I just got my first eggs this week.

Good luck, and if you have any other soy free type questions, let me know!

Does anyone know what the plant based protein is in Bomgaars feed?
My chickens were raised on soy-free feed and then switched to Bomgaars brand feed for the whole flock because they changed the formula on the feed i was buying.
I was having a rough day when I bought it. A sales associate told me they used it and that it didn't have soy in it. I looked at the ingredients but, I missed the "plant based protein," in the ingredients. A week or so later, I was looking at the bag and noticed it. 😞 I don't have an actual allergy, per se. I have Histamine Intolerance. Soy (which is high in Histamine) gives me congested sinuses and then if I persist in eating high Histamine foods like soy, it moves to my chest and ears. I'm then super susceptible to any virus that's going around and tend to get sick within a week of eating it. So, it's not life threatening but it makes me miserable.
I know it's possible to make feed with plant based protein, that isn't soy, because, I used to use Layena when we lived in Eastern CO. The store I bought it from assured me that it was locally sourced and didn't contain soy because soy wasn't grown around there.
I also had my ND test me with eggs from hens fed that feed and I tested much better with those than regular eggs.
So, does anyone know what protein source Bomgaars uses that's listed as "Plant based Protein?"

Does anyone know what the plant based protein is in Bomgaars feed?
My chickens were raised on soy-free feed and then switched to Bomgaars brand feed for the whole flock because they changed the formula on the feed i was buying.
I was having a rough day when I bought it. A sales associate told me they used it and that it didn't have soy in it. I looked at the ingredients but, I missed the "plant based protein," in the ingredients. A week or so later, I was looking at the bag and noticed it. 😞 I don't have an actual allergy, per se. I have Histamine Intolerance. Soy (which is high in Histamine) gives me congested sinuses and then if I persist in eating high Histamine foods like soy, it moves to my chest and ears. I'm then super susceptible to any virus that's going around and tend to get sick within a week of eating it. So, it's not life threatening but it makes me miserable.
I know it's possible to make feed with plant based protein, that isn't soy, because, I used to use Layena when we lived in Eastern CO. The store I bought it from assured me that it was locally sourced and didn't contain soy because soy wasn't grown around there.
I also had my ND test me with eggs from hens fed that feed and I tested much better with those than regular eggs.
So, does anyone know what protein source Bomgaars uses that's listed as "Plant based Protein?"
Oops. I may have posted this in the wrong spot.

Phone the company and ask them. Tell them you area allergic to eggs from chickens that eat soy, and you are concerned about the safety of this line of feed. I believe they are required to tell you. Possibly, they change the formula throughout the year based on what is available and what is cheapest.

I live in Michigan, we grow tons and tons of dry beans, which are shipped around the world. Just because soy isn't grown in the area Bomgaar's is doesn't mean they don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom