soybeans/all beans (POISON)

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Earlier today a friend called to say, her chickens were sick and could I look at them. By the time I got there two were dead and the rest close to death. After questioning her about what she was feeding, she told me that she had given them some soybeans as a treat. That was the only thing different in her routine. When I ask her if they were roasted or boiled, she said no. Being the easy going person I am, I told her straight out that she had poisoned her chickens. All forms of BEANS MSUT BE ROASTED OR BOILED @180 DEGREES for at least 15 minutes.

All BEANS contain trypsin, which is toxic to the lining of the birds intestines. It can scar their intestines making them less able to absorb their food.

BOILING for 15 minutes @ 180 degrees destorys the trypsin.

Her chickens died a slow death, which could have been prevented.

Yep, I knew that one. I think we mentioned it in the cooking thread...or it was a protein thread?
As long as they are cooked they are okay. I put mine in the slow cooker overnight just to be sure.

Good info.

So if I have so dried beens that fall down in the garden in the soil if my future chickens eat them they will be sick and maybe die?

Yikes...that is hard because there are always a few left over dry beens around.

Barb
wink.png

Yep, I knew that one. I think we mentioned it in the cooking thread...or it was a protein thread?
As long as they are cooked they are okay. I put mine in the slow cooker overnight just to be sure.

Yes hooligan, I have been saying that all along too. I warned people about toxic food and they send me all sorts of sites to try to dispute me. Oh well.

I am a ovo vegetarian and knew about the beans especially soy since I make my own soy milk. Noone listened to me,
hit.gif

I am so sorry about your friends' chickies, that is horrible.

If you want to give a good source of pure protein,,give them bean sprouts, mine eat them every day mixed with "whatever" and they are thriving, I even toss in some chili peppers and I have had a spurt in laying. Thank you for whoever started the hot pepper post.

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Do you mean tyrosine or tyramine?
hu.gif
I thought that trypsin was just an enzyme in the intestinal tract to aid in digestion of proteins. I've heard that soy beans (particularly raw) can inhibit the trypsin ability to digest properly. That could definitely kill birds if they aren't able to absorb protein. That's really sad for those chickens had to suffer like that.
sad.png

NOTE: The trypsin in all beans is toxic to the lining of the birds' intestines. It can scar their intestines, making them less able to absorb their food. Any beans fed to chickens need to be at 180 degrees for 15 minutes to destroy the trypsin . Keeping the soybeans at or above 180 degress F for 15 minutes destroys the trypsin. The best way to do this is by boiling.

Soybeans can also be dry-roasted (no soaking), at around 250 degrees. But this is more cumbersome and less certain of destroying the trypsin, as the beans in the oven must be continually turned to insure that all the beans are reaching the 180-degree temperature.

This is from: http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

Eeeep, yesterday and this morning I gave my 2 girls about 1/2 - 2/3 c of freezerburned lima beans -- I zapped them for about 2 minutes to thaw them and sorta half-cook them, but that is all
sad.png
PLEASE tell me it's likely to be okay. They did seem fine this a.m. Is there anything it'd be worth doing to try to minimize the effects on their systems?

Aaargh,

Pat

I did a Google search because because I was questioning my knowledge...anyway that's the only site I can find that actually says they contain trypsin, and not stating that soy beans are a trypsin inhibitor (which would mean that raw soy beans stop the body from being able to absorb protein).

Anyway not trying to argue, just trying to not get confused.
wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypsin_inhibitor
Either way it's a good point not to feed your birds raw soy beans.

Now I'm wondering about using chicken feeds that are soy based. :eek: I don't, but it worries me for people that do.

Pat I think your birds will be fine. I think you would have to feed them Lima beans everyday to see detrimental effects.

Back
Top Bottom