Space Problem in Brooders for Chicks and Keets

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I have a space issue in my brooders and I was wondering if I could combine my chicks and guinea keets.

I have 2 Brabanter chicks that are 37 days old that are with 8 other 24 day old Brabanter chicks. I would like to put them together with my 9, 18 day old guinea keets and move them to the chicken coop in an "nursery" surrounded by 1" chicken wire so my 18 week old chickens can get use to them.

I can provide heat in the coop since there is electricity in the coop and provide them with their own water and feed.

Do you think this would be a problem, or should I hold off. I HAVE to move them both to larger quarters because they are too crowded and the keets are in a batters brooder and they just touch the top of it now with their heads which are causing them to want to sit allot (which I can''t imagine is good for their legs.).

You input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Sorry,

My mind knows what it wants to say, but sometimes that doesn't get to my fingers
smile.png

Hi, I am pretty sure I am clear on what you are asking. You want to know if you can put your keets and chicks together because the keets are running out of space (growing).

I have my keets with my chicks now. I had to combine them too. The keets are very gentle creatures and do not peck and fuss at other birds (chickens). I would give it a trial run and see if the chickens will tolerate the keets. You should be OK, but supervise them for awhile, and if everything goes well, check on them periodically to make sure.

smile.png

Just a warning. A while back, maybe 6 months or more, somebody was having a problem keeping their keets with their chicks. The keets were tearing the beaks off the chicks!!! At first, she didn't realize that was the problem. These were newly hatched chicks, btw, and I don't remember how old the keets were. Anyway, she thought there was something wrong with her chicks but, then, she saw a keet pecking at a chick's beak and finally put two and two together. This is probably the exception to the rule but better forewarned!!

Ellen

wow, I had no idea they would do that! I got mine when they were several weeks old and put them in with the bantam babies and they get along so well. How horrible to rip off beaks! Yes, then I would STRONGLY suggest monitoring them or having supervised visits until they can be left together.

Yesterday I made a "nursery" in the chicken coop for the chicks and keets and put them in it. I watched them and they are getting along great together. They even sleep together. I will keep am eye on them, but it looks like they will do fine in there until I can let them in with the older chickens.

Back
Top Bottom