spalding or green ?

What was he sold to you as? How old is he?

I don't think he would be a Javanese... He has a nice colorful face, dark grey legs, light colored flight feathers instead of rust/orange colored flight feathers, his crest looks small but I am guessing it was picked at or he molted and is re-growing fresh feathers. His head looks to be the right shape too (triangular instead of circular) Is he taller than your India blue peacocks? The only thing is I think the blue on his wing feathers should be a little brighter if he is an Imperator, but it could be the lighting. I don't want to say I am 100% sure, but I think he is an Imperator or a Burmese but that is just my guess. I don't see anything that says Spalding to me.

I see you are in Romania. Reinhold is in Europe near the border to Switzerland. He has lots of nice green peafowl: http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-English/Our-Peafowl/our-peafowl.html

In fact I hope Reinhold replies to this topic. He can tell you for sure. I really like the face on your peacock though. It is very colorful!

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. Regarding Reinhold is a true breeder and I have corresponded in the past with him. His site is a reference for green peacocks. It is very difficult to buy authentic green peacocks. For reference this is Reinhold.

Thanks for your opinion. Regarding Reinhold is a true breeder and I have corresponded in the past with him. His site is a reference for green peacocks. It is very difficult to buy authentic green peacocks. For reference this is Reinhold.
Hello Florentina,
it is very difficult with the above pictures, because the light is not good and the angle makes it difficult too.
Based on the pictures it could be a pure green, but we should not discuss about any sub-species. It is for sure not a spicifer.
I would say it could be a pure green but on one picture I see the back of a hen. I expect it is black shoulder hen. When I see that a breeder is doing such a thing and producing hybrids than I’m very, very carefully.
Many regards

Sorry I bump this, but it does appear that male is a pure "Green Peafowl" be that composite or whatever. There is nothing in that bird that would suggest hybridization. That said, faded colours could indicate inbreeding.

@Dani that site's definition is just absurd. Green Peafowl is 3 subspecies or complex of species or whatever you choose to believe.

Back
Top Bottom