Spalding peacocks pictures!

Link very interesting!
But there is t he a breeder who made the crossing through a scientific way ... ... bird identification ... pictures.
The term "pure Spalding blood" has a sens ?
Can we compare the hybridization with the mixture of colors?

BLUE (= india peacock) and YELLOW (= green peahen).
The hybrid is GREEN ... it's Spalding peafowl = spalding 50%

If you take the spalding 50% ( GREEN ) to cross with a green peacock ( YELLOW ) you got secondary colors.... spalding 75% ... etc ...
When you have the color GREEN you can not remove the YELLOW.
Can be for one day to get YELLOW only to increase the YELLOW ... step by step.

" Breeding a 100% Muticus with a 75% Spalding will yield a 7/8 Spalding. It has taken from six to nine years to develop these 7/8 birds. When crossing these birds, they don't always look phenotypicly the same. This is common with Spaldings."

It is scientifically proven ???
So, from the genetic point of view I would like someone to explain to me!

" This has taken fifteen to nineteen years to get to 63/64 percent Java in these Spalding."
To get " pure blood " 63/64 percent spalding ?

I'm almost lost on these spalding percentages LOL, i know that spaldings don't breed true but what will happen when mating two 75% spalding birds? Will all the offspring will be 75% spaldings also? Specially since they will not look the same?!

You do not increase the percentage of "green blood" ... so genetically or the genotype still 75% of blood Green Blue and 25% of Blue blood But with the phenotype .... they say that birds can be different! ( has been controlled or is it the hearsay?).
I think doing 64/65 BLUE Spalding is completely stupid ... it is expensive in time and money to get it ... and in the end you have a false green peafowl ! BINGO !
This has made me think at ....: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

With the other colors that is interesting!

I think doing 64/65 BLUE Spalding is completely stupid ... it is expensive in time and money to get it ... and in the end you have a false green peafowl ! BINGO !
I do agree with this, but there is one thing that makes breeding a 64/65 Spalding not a waste of time and money... You can then use these green looking Spaldings to breed for other varieties such as pied. Now you can have a bird that looks like a green that is pied, white eye, etc. 64/65 Spaldings are used to introduce tallness and the look of a green peafowl into other varieties since so far we don't know of any varieties that can be made from breeding pure green peafowl (although there are some accounts of white green peafowl. Not sure if they are credible or not).

I personally don't like the 64/65 Spaldings because even if you do use them to enhance other varieties, once you are done using these birds you will sell them. Once you sell them you can't control what the new owner says. They could sell the offspring of these high Spaldings as pure green peafowl. They might think you didn't know what you are talking about and they could assume the birds are pure green peafowl even if you said they are not. Even then if the buyer does everything right, somewhere along the line in selling or trading someone will get confused, doubtful, or they will want more money so they will call the birds pure green peafowl and sell them just as that.

I just hope anyone breeding 64/65 Spaldings sells the birds carefully or doesn't sell any. I understand everyone has their own opinion on breeding peafowl but some peafowl breeders have spent a ton of money and time to import and take care of pure green peafowl. We have to keep the pure green peafowl in the US away from the high % Spalding peafowl or it will be a big mess. Not everyone wants green peafowl but for the ones like me who do, things need to be kept in order because it gets really confusing.
:

Yeah if these birds 64/65 were split to white or another color it will be awesome, there is someone here in Kuwait that has a high percentage spalding white, it could be 15/16 or 31/32 but it really awesome, its one of the prettiest peacocks i have ever seen.

I saw a photo of a high % Spalding white recently. I already forgot where I saw the photos, but it really did look just like a green peacock if it where white. I love the yellow face on a white bird.
Here is a nice one at Legg's peafowl:

I don't know how much green blood my spalding whites have in them, but I don't think it is a lot. Their crests are a little bit tighter than India Blues and they do get a bit of yellow on their face but it is never a very bright yellow. Also they seem to be of a normal height as well.

I do agree with this, but there is one thing that makes breeding a 64/65 Spalding not a waste of time and money... You can then use these green looking Spaldings to breed for other varieties such as pied. Now you can have a bird that looks like a green that is pied, white eye, etc. 64/65 Spaldings are used to introduce tallness and the look of a green peafowl into other varieties since so far we don't know of any varieties that can be made from breeding pure green peafowl (although there are some accounts of white green peafowl. Not sure if they are credible or not).
If you cross a Spalding 64/65 with Pavo cristatus ... you break all the work you've done ... the hybrid cross should be done earlier ... I think!

Here in Europe you can buy a very good quality of Pavo muticus muticus (Menning blood) for dollar 220 .
The market is saturated!

q8peafowl ....now we want to see some pictures !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom